Reptile

MarcoX

The following fossil is offred on a local website. Would be nice to know what kind of fossil it is. The seller doesnt has any idea.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Without location, this may be hard to nail down, but it looks similar to some Mesosauridae I have seen. 

I wouldn't rule out Claudiosauridae, either.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks real and very nice, but I have no idea what it is! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

As Tim said: Mesosaurus brasiliensis or (may be) Claudiosaurus.

The rock suggests Mesosaurus brasiliensis from the Permian of Brazil

image.png.6e583e7cf61a664d9958460f4e698025.png

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

It looks like a mesosaur, but I have never seen one with white bones. I wonder from the bone color if this might not be some type of Chinese reptile. If the two plates were glued together and prepped properly, I would not rule out the possibility of a skull and other bones. 

31 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

It looks like a mesosaur, but I have never seen one with white bones. I wonder from the bone color if this might not be some type of Chinese reptile. If the two plates were glued together and prepped properly, I would not rule out the possibility of a skull and other bones. 

I've got a Mesosaur from Brazil with white and very soft bones (sorry, no pic). 

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I was just about to say looks like Mesosaur before I saw the replies.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, mesosaur and could be that the limb bones and the skull is still in the matrix (not definitely to tell by the fotos though...).

48 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Cool! Never saw one like that. Must be nice.

You can't say nice. The bones are so soft that they cannot be prepared. The bones disintegrate at the slightest touch and almost all are split. The fossil may have been too long and too close to the weathering zone.

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

You can't say nice. The bones are so soft that they cannot be prepared. The bones disintegrate at the slightest touch and almost all are split. The fossil may have been too long and too close to the weathering zone.

Have you tried consolidating the bones and prepping from there?

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

A good reason to stay away from spending money for it. thanks.