Blastoids! I'm Stuck In The Mud!

1nickeless1

Earlier in the week I went to a site offered by Rozzilla that is close to my home. I ignored her instructions to "park at the top of the hill and walk down" to location. A dirt road, a man and a truck (2WD), no problem. I made it to the site and saw one of my tires was uncomfortably low, so I turned around and got some air before I started the hunt. Less than an hour later I was hunting. Beautiful, quiet spot to hunt out in the middle of nowhere. Checked out the area, found some goodies, decided it was a late start a pre-hunt/scout mission and it was time to go. I drove about 100 yds. up the dirt road when my front tire found a soft spot, and with just enough momentum for my rear wheel to find it. Stuck mired to the axle and wedged against and embankment stuck. At this point I was thinking of the want/need/cost of 4WD debate I reluctantly lost with my wife when I bought my truck. The irony is hers is 4WD. And I had to call AAA.

post-2020-12544947047653_thumb.jpg

Earlier in the week I went to a site offered by Rozzilla that is close to my home. I ignored her instructions to "park at the top of the hill and walk down" to location. A dirt road, a man and a truck (2WD), no problem. I made it to the site and saw one of my tires was uncomfortably low, so I turned around and got some air before I started the hunt. Less than an hour later I was hunting. Beautiful, quiet spot to hunt out in the middle of nowhere. Checked out the area, found some goodies, decided it was a late start a pre-hunt/scout mission and it was time to go. I drove about 100 yds. up the dirt road when my front tire found a soft spot, and with just enough momentum for my rear wheel to find it. Stuck mired to the axle and wedged against and embankment stuck. At this point I was thinking of the want/need/cost of 4WD debate I reluctantly lost with my wife when I bought my truck. The irony is hers is 4WD. And I had to call AAA.

lol Yes I think that is a guy thing for sure.... Bet if you are lost you don't ask for

directions either...

Nice blastoids! What is that fossil in your pic (top row-far right side?

I can't quite tell.

Welcome to the forum!

lol Yes I think that is a guy thing for sure.... Bet if you are lost you don't ask for

directions either...

Nice blastoids! What is that fossil in your pic (top row-far right side?

I can't quite tell.

Looks more like a Crinoid crown than a Blastoid. They are beautiful finds though. Sorry about your car. Lesson learned.

It is a blastoid. Broken and elongated Pentremites unlike the others.

Yeah, yeah, I hear your 'I told you so', and fortunately just have enough of those to remind me that I'm still human. Can't remember the last time I was lost even though I have a great memory. :)

Edited by 1nickeless1

Nice finds! :wub: You got AAA to pull you out??? :blink: Up here AMA won't even look at you just about if you're not on the pavement. :wacko: I guess they've had to many calls from guys wanting to get pulled out of farmer's fields. :P

Looks more like a Crinoid crown than a Blastoid. They are beautiful finds though. Sorry about your car. Lesson learned.

It appears to be a Pentremites Pyriformis. The reference I found it puts it 200 miles away from where I found it...and thanks for your compliment. Lesson never learned, I'm still a guy doing something similar somewhere!

Edited by 1nickeless1

Nice finds! :wub: You got AAA to pull you out??? :blink: Up here AMA won't even look at you just about if you're not on the pavement. :wacko: I guess they've had to many calls from guys wanting to get pulled out of farmer's fields. :P

Thank you Fig.

I had to lay the charm on reeeal thick, And I was nowhere near any farmer's field. ;)

Nice finds!

I found a few blastoids last weekend in northern Michigan. A couple heteroschizma and a beach weathered placoblastus. They're always fun to find loose.

I will have to assume that you are referring to the upper lower and not the UP, eh?...... found some good blastoids at that big road cut in Indiana a few years back, and a few at Hungry Hollow as well, none in the lower yet.

I will have to assume that you are referring to the upper lower and not the UP, eh?...... found some good blastoids at that big road cut in Indiana a few years back, and a few at Hungry Hollow as well, none in the lower yet.

Yeah. Alpena area. It's north of where I live. :P

Yes I agree. Sry about you car egtting stuck :(

Lol that trip reminds me of one I was on everyone laughed at me when I came across the mud almost sideways in my car pedal to the metal lol at least I didn't get stuck like a dear friend of mine with a truck I shal name no names lol he knows who he is haha

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Yes I agree. Sry about you car egtting stuck :(

Dangit, Crinoid Queen, I hope that you are agreeing that they are beautiful and not agreeing that it's a crinoid calyx! I am a long way from posting something helpful or intellectually stimulating, but thought I was on the right track and learning something here if only through osmosis!

Pointing at an ambulacral groove of a blastoid?

If your comment was of their beauty, thank you and...nevermind! And I plan on getting a beater Jeep!

post-2020-12549705232114_thumb.jpg

Lol that trip reminds me of one I was on everyone laughed at me when I came across the mud almost sideways in my car pedal to the metal lol at least I didn't get stuck like a dear friend of mine with a truck I shal name no names lol he knows who he is haha

Not so funny at the time but they always make for good stories later. I think I yelled one of the longest strings of expletives uttered in a long time, with nothing but trees to hear them. I was too ##### to take pictures, too.