Please help! First time poster, avid fossil/artifact collector, but stumped? For years!! Please!

Joshua Hanna

Hello, first time poster. Avid fossil, artifact Hunter since youth. I have never had anyone who was even remotely sure what path to put me on with this on. Found many years ago on a high bluff area near lynches river, Florence County, South Carolina while looking for native American artifacts. Blunted on one end, rounded on other, circular shaped throughout whole diameter, weight (total) 26.04 grams, roughly 4cm total length. 

Edited by Joshua Hanna

16 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

Hello, first time poster. Avid fossil, artifact Hunter since youth. I have never had anyone who was even remotely sure what path to put me on with this on. Found many years ago on a high bluff area near lynches river, Florence County, South Carolina while looking for native American artifacts. Blunted on one end, rounded on other, circular shaped throughout whole diameter, weight (total) 26.04 grams, roughly 4cm total length. 

Got any pictures?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Trying my hardest to upload by resizing unable to load the multiple pics? Newbie

So sorry for all of the doubles, etc. Just trying to provide clear accurate pics of object. Thank you

22 minutes ago, ynot said:

Got any pictures?

17 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

49F51E22-D915-4398-9F82-9DBEEAF1FBA2.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

92297015-DD91-4AA2-916A-EB2BA96CE35A.thumb.jpeg.2a3ef6504558eb2733d4210227e4d8a0.jpeg92297015-DD91-4AA2-916A-EB2BA96CE35A.thumb.jpeg.2a3ef6504558eb2733d4210227e4d8a0.jpeg

3CA30AEB-E25A-4CE2-A78D-B0112C13A84C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

BB5C57D1-6D9D-4D18-B6D9-6B405A80DD4B.jpeg

image.jpg

Per your request. I think anyway. Thanks for your help and time too!

Is that sufficient? Clear? Accurate?

Edited by Joshua Hanna
Durp

8 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

Is that sufficient? Clear? Accurate?

Yes, pics are good, thanks!

Very strange and nice object, looks like a bullet or a piece of an orthocerid (straight chephalopod), but it´s neither nor. The blunt end has an especially interesting shape. Is it really perfectly circular in cross section of somewhat elliptical / ovoid? 

I am leaning toward artifact, but that´s just a gut feeling.

Franz Bernhard

3 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yes, pics are good, thanks!

Very strange and nice object, looks like a bullet or a piece of an orthocerid (straight chephalopod), but it´s neither nor. The blunt end has an especially interesting shape. Is it really perfectly circular in cross section of somewhat elliptical / ovoid? 

I am leaning toward artifact, but that´s just a gut feeling.

Franz Bernhard

As fast as ammunition or bullet, its a very large diameter for any type of caliber that I know of. Also weight is 26 grams so close to an oz. I have many, many multiple caliber ammunition finds. Doesn't resemble anything. Native American artifacts  have been commonly found by myself here. Mortar/Pistal, multiple spear points and arrowheads. Area was commonly known hideout location for general Francis Marion during revolutionary  war. Lynches  river and pee dee river converge not too far from find and huge island was used for first known sniper/ambush guerilla fighting started supposedly by himself and his troops. However  this was found on high bluff hilly side, sandy/loamy clay, topography is considerably higher this area as compared to island that rivers formed to create. Area is considered  low County, South Carolina regardless, whole area was ocean once

• I found this Informative 1

I have other finds from close by upstream from area but nothing like this? These were found not too far upstream on high bluff of pee dee river, topic find was lynches river

1 minute ago, Joshua Hanna said:

image.jpg

Left shark tooth is a Megalodon.
Lower right is an Echinoid of some kind
Center Top looks like a molar tooth of some kind (but we would need better photos)
And bottom left I need more photos.

4 minutes ago, Joshua Hanna said:

image.jpg

17 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

To me this looks like one of those Native American Fishing Weights 

17 minutes ago, Zenmaster6 said:

To me this looks like one of those Native American Fishing Weights 

You just may have nailed it down. Don't have this type of rock/stone in coastal sc though?bartered/traded for all types though I would think highly  possible. Gonna check out your suggestion more. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Hanna said:

Another possibility. I never cease to be amazed at the almost incredible forms and shapes that the forces of mother nature can create over the ages. For instance, I have seen perfectly rounded and deep boreholes of various diameters in mudstone made by boring clams on a beach. Some of these holes were already filled with sediment, which, under the right circumstances(mineral solutions), will be as hard as rock perhaps already in a few hundred or thousand years time if the ocean recedes a bit. A little bit later, geologically speaking, the mudstone erodes away, leaving perfectly rounded casts of boreholes.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

To me it looks like a water worn phosphate nodule, common in the area where it was found.

It looks like the object has a fracture line along the long axis. Is it in 2 pieces and if so, can we see photos of the inside surfaces?

Cheers.

• I found this Informative 2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World