Possible partial Sauropod bone from the Kem Kem?

msantix

Hi, any Sauropod experts out there? i saw this fossil for sale and the seller thinks it could be a partial Sauropod bone from the Kem Kem Beds. He notes that he isn't too confident with the id and could also be from a theropod. It is 12 inches in length. Any diagnostic features that could help? Thanks in advance!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Like to see that broken end also.  Looks like it's from a herbivore and based on size indeed a Sauropod is most likely.  Not from a Theropod it's not hollow.  Could be a femur. 

• I found this Informative 1

The seller didn't post a clear picture of the broken end, i sent him an email, now i am just waiting to hear back. I was thinking this bone was originally part of a humerus, though i could be completely wrong about that. Out of curiosity, can Crocodylomorphs be ruled out? if so then i guess Sauropod is the most likely option. I can't think of any other group from the Kem Kem that could produce bones this robust/wide if not theropod.

Yes it's a very odd piece @SULLY not sure what to make of it, maybe because it's just a partial.  It does not appear composited just weathered.

@msantix could be a humerus but I would have expected a slight curved shape to the end.   Complete bones are hard enough to ID worn broken ones are that much more difficult.  Nothing can be ruled out it's the Kem Kem land if mystery bones and mystery animals, but looks too big for a Crock.

• I found this Informative 1