Unindentified Trunks

RomanK

It's rainy here last couple of days and not very comfortable weather for hunting. I'd like to share some pics from past hunting trips I didn't publish before.

Couple of trunks. No way to determine ones, too decorticated. All I can say they are licopods.

post-814-12546667607901_thumb.jpgpost-814-12546667680534_thumb.jpg

Cordaite big leaf print

post-814-12546668785108_thumb.jpg

Calamite stem cut with some thin branches.

post-814-1254666949039_thumb.jpg

Couple of interesting colour stones (not fossil)

post-814-125466700924_thumb.jpgpost-814-12546670184653_thumb.jpg

and something like stone drops

post-814-12546670602364_thumb.jpg

I love the cross section of the Calamites!

Very nice specimens yet again, although I can't help with ID's I'll check my books and see if I can take a shot in the dark.

I love the cross section of the Calamites!

Very nice specimens yet again, although I can't help with ID's I'll check my books and see if I can take a shot in the dark.

Thanks Nicholas, picture with more resolution to help you ID biggrin.gif

post-814-12546778867175_thumb.jpg

RomanK..... Nice fossils.... My favorates the Cordaites.... I think one of your mystery rocks are infact ripple marks.... They occur in our westphalian outcrops.... usually where the sediments are more sandy.... which looks the same in your case.....its nice when you find a decent chunk that isnt worn too much....they look quite nice stood up as a trace fossil....I presume they are from 'marginal area's of a delta although i know wind can create these to.....

Heres some I collected.....

post-1630-12547314136047_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Nicholas, picture with more resolution to help you ID biggrin.gif

post-814-12546778867175_thumb.jpg

Hey! I think I just found a bunch of those in St. Clair, see my recent post for pics. Are you sure it's cross sections of Calamites? None of the pieces I found go through the rock though like a branch or trunk would.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

...None of the pieces I found go through the rock though like a branch or trunk would.

Maybe impressions? Pos vs. Neg on so much of the Carb material adds another dimension to IDs.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RomanK.....I think one of your mystery rocks are infact ripple marks....

Heres some I collected.....

post-1630-12547314136047_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve, possibly you are right, note that my specimen is absolutely flat but your rips are 3D. And agree sometimes your and my rocks look very similar.

Hey! I think I just found a bunch of those in St. Clair, see my recent post for pics. Are you sure it's cross sections of Calamites? None of the pieces I found go through the rock though like a branch or trunk would.

Hi Shamalama I'm not sure it's a CALAMITES. We have lack of information on my specimen. Ripped leaf or branch fragment (upper rock center under the circle cut) can be as calamites stem pith as cordaites leaf print. Circle cut in the center looks like calamites stem for me, you can see rips on the cutout. Other thin branches could be as calamites as any other Carb. plant ones, for instance, fern. It's too difficult to ID on my mind.

RomanK.....Im pretty confident on my ID..... I know the ones I shown as an example are 'very' undulated, but thats why I collected them, they stood out and appeard excellent examples.... most of the other bits I left behind.... I have seen very similar where the undulations are so minute, it has only almost an ironstain at regular intervals....I had to access the site over a narrow motorway footbridge, and whilst carrying them back over the bridge (as you can see they are quite large)I was getting some strange looks from the motorists who noticed me.... before now in our country, some idiots have thrown rocks at motorists off bridges, in some instances causing serious accidents, so I could imagine their apprehension....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I agree with Steve, those are some fine ripple marks that you have there. It's tough to find pieces with good ripples that are also manageable in size so that you can haul them home.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I agree with Steve, those are some fine ripple marks that you have there. It's tough to find pieces with good ripples that are also manageable in size so that you can haul them home.

I'm joining to your and Steve opinion.