Hey guys! 

So about four years ago, someone sold me a really cheap batch of unprepped fossils they dug up in the US; which included a large piece of rib bone (or so the seller thought). 

I started prepping the 'rib', and thought it looked a little strange. It had a tendon running along the bottom; which seemed weird as it was supposed to be a rib. However, I was still pretty new to fossil prep/ID, and I trusted the seller's ID better than my own. I wound up setting it on the shelf for...a couple years. Fast forward to about a week ago. I was cleaning out my fossil storage 'area' and I came upon this bone again. I again thought it didn't look much like a rib, and decided to google different kinds of dinosaur spikes. After scrolling through all kinds of ankylosaurs, stegosaurs, triceratops, etc. I came upon Styracosaurus. It bore a passing resemblance to the parietal spike on its frill, and I figured I better start prepping it. 

After prepping it, I was blown away. Not only does the bone have a tendon attached, but there are all kinds of subtle curvatures you couldn't see with the layer of dirt that had covered it. The texture is very unusual too, and the bone is actually really thin! The tip comes to a point and gradually twists. It's hard to describe, so I've included a bunch of pictures.

Anyway, after researching more about the sub-family Centrosaurinae, I came across Rubeosaurus and Einiosaurus; which both have spikes that are EXTREMELY similar to the bone I have. If this thing is a rib I'll eat my foot. Please let me know what you think! Any thoughts are much appreciated. :)

-Lauren

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 9.32.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 9.33.33 PM.png

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

Last one: a close up of rubeosaurus 

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 9.40.22 PM.png

Pretty sure it isnt a horn, your Bone has a distinct twist that I dont see in a styracosaurus Horn.

Well looking at it's shape I don't think this is a rib, but I also don't think it is a horn of a ceratopsian as when you see them they have groves where blood vessels would have been to supply blood to these areas, again I think maybe ishium or pubis could be a good fit for the fossil you have. I will do some more research when I get a chance.

Thanks MNatt

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone! This is quite delayed, but I just wanted you all to know that this bone was in fact a ceratopsian ischium! Thanks so much for your responses!! :)