My Rarest Ptychodus

Tony Eaton

ptychodus latissimmus, my most unique ptychodus

gallery_2139_547_29181.jpg

Up until recently I hadn't been on a dedicated fossil hunt for over 6 years. This was the haul on the last trip about 7 years ago. My wife found this pytchodus latissimmus, I think the only shark tooth she ever found. Well, a good find! I have probably over 100 ptychodus, but the first latissimmus.

We were collecting a Kamp Ranch site in Frisco TX, although this was actually from just inches below Kamp Ranch in the Britton Layer of Eagle Ford (uppermost Cenomanian), which at least at this site was a condensed pebble layer / buff clay layer. The Metoicoceras fragment helped tell me that this was Britton. Otherwise I would have assumed simply a clay layer of Kamp Ranch.

Edited by Tony Eaton

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am jealous; there is a Kamp ranch site so close to home and I don’t know about it!

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

Thanks.

I finally got the Farish and Welton Texas Shark Teeth book and read that P. Latissimmus is common in the Atco contact area although I've yet to find one there. According to the book, Latissimmus is not known to be in Kamp Ranch or Britton which makes me wonder if I have ID'd this tooth correctly.

I have recently found two Ptychodus teeth from P.O.C. found by sieving with window screen that are rather unusual, perhaps "rarer" than the above.

Well dont tease us, show us some picks.

Love that tooth by the way!;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks.

I finally got the Farish and Welton Texas Shark Teeth book and read that P. Latissimmus is common in the Atco contact area although I've yet to find one there. According to the book, Latissimmus is not known to be in Kamp Ranch or Britton which makes me wonder if I have ID'd this tooth correctly.

I have recently found two Ptychodus teeth from P.O.C. found by sieving with window screen that are rather unusual, perhaps "rarer" than the above.

Yes, your tooth is about four million years older than the oldest known occurrence of latissimus as of the publication of that book (1993). Your tooth has ridges too prominent to be polygyrus so I think it is latissimus.

My son spending the night at a friend's house so I had a chance to use his scanner and get a descent image of the ptychodus teeth.

Here is the odd one. The scan doesn't convey the fact the whole thing is only 2mm thick all the way across.

I guess this could be a corner tooth for a common ptychodus species? Or maybe P. Rugosus, both thinner and earlier than expected.

4123594005_0c77e94ca0_o.jpg

This one is perhaps ptychodus sp as described in Welton and Farrish book. Still a bit odd IMO as although difficult to tell in this scan there is a small cusp next to the larger one. Taking a second look, maybe a symphysial tooth?

4123594153_98cf03b41a_o.jpg

Here is ptychodus sp I think. A closer to the book example.

4124362296_0ca01a2d24_o.jpg

I wonder if this is some form of hybodus? Only 1mm thick the whole way across.

4124361942_5ff7310026_o.jpg

Ah, completely unrelated except for it is from POC. Seems too hard / crystalized to be a recent pearl so I'm think a shiny fossil one ;-)

4123593829_b6efbd3090_o.jpg

Edited by Tony Eaton