Good Karma

jax

So it has been raining here a ton in the past month, So I figured Id hit one of my favorite spots. They have started to build houses here, but since the economy tanked, no more are being built :D:D:D . So one spot that I check is right next to a house, and it just so happened that they were home today. (Let me paint a small picture of how I looked. It had just rained for 3 days, and the ground is a mud pit, PLUS im carrying a rock hammer) So this lady pokes her head over the fence and asks what im doing.... I told her what I was doing, and I dont think she understood. Looking for sharks teeth in Dallas, not many people believe you... So about then I found a squali, still in the matrix, I did a quick prep job with my knife, and ran it over to her. She was shocked. I let her have the tooth, and told her she lived in a gold mine! (Thats the good Karma part if you are keeping track) As I was kicking the mud off my shoes, I noticed some Kamp Ranch sticking out of the mud. I dug that slab up, and set it to the side to take home. I then started finding Ptychodus. The first one was just laying in the mud. I found another slab of the Ranch, this one too large to pick up, So i started to split it. Not much in it, BUT wait! Black and shiney showing through the mud!! I chipped out the piece, only to see a large Ptychodus root! The tooth looked like it did the day the shark lost it! Ptychodus Polygyrus, not a huge one, but this one had character. I saw the rain clouds gathering so I headed to the car. On my way out I found the piece with 2 Ptychodus right next to each other. Another great piece!

Thanks for looking

Justin

post-221-12548697990036_thumb.jpg

post-221-12548698561915_thumb.jpg

post-221-12548698853453_thumb.jpg

post-221-12548699074244_thumb.jpg

post-221-12548699709633_thumb.jpg

post-221-12548700106305_thumb.jpg

Wonder what the dinner-table conversation was like at the "gold mine" residence?

Beautiful teeth, Justin!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice teeth! I especially like the matrix piece!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

ok, look - she knows now! <handing jax a small, strange-looking instrument> take this back there, right now, and knock on the door and when she answers, hold this in front of her and push the button on the side there. do it NOW!

ok, look - she knows now! <handing jax a small, strange-looking instrument> take this back there, right now, and knock on the door and when she answers, hold this in front of her and push the button on the side there. do it NOW!

She was a nice Asian lady, if anyone runs into her. She told me she has seen me there several times, and others.... So for those of you trespassing in my area, stay out! B)

post-221-12548823406674_thumb.jpg

That was a good day :) Funny how things work out ;) It kind of reminds me of a story from when I was a kid.

When I was a kid we had a HUGE field behind our house. I used to run through it with my freinds and play games. Then they started to develope it. Soon huge empty houses with freshly dug earth were every where. Sad to say no fossils unearthed, if there had been I wouldn't have been looking because it was before my fossil years; I was under 10. But anyway there was this old cherry tree on my propery between my house and the new empty houses. I used to get up in there and throw the rotten cherries at the sides of the wall because I was upset they ruined my fields. Well, one day I was throwing cherries and I heard " get the *@^& out of my tree!!!" "What the @^#% are you doing throwing cherries at my house." I was shocked that anyone was even living there. How dare this person tell me to get out of HIS tree. Well not only did I lose my fields, I lost the tree and got punished by my parents :( Geesh :P

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Way to go J. I knew the rain had to kick something out. See, ya had to come back to Texas to find the real goodies :D

Jax..... Stunning preservation on that material.... Nice finds.... I like the matrix association one as well....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very cool Jax! I don't have any teeth from that age :(

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Ah, good story and nice finds! I know you are not in the one Kamp Ranch spot I know of now, as everything there is rather oxidized.

Regarding shark teeth and knowledge of their existence in Texas, I remember picking up a nice looking shark tooth back in college. I figured it came off of someone's necklace and dropped it back on the ground (no idea at the time that it was a fossil and that my school was sitting on Kamp Ranch limestone).

When collecting I try to keep a wide margin away from any homes, since people can be very protective of their property and family. The first time someone came out with a bat in hand yelling profanities taught me.