A couple of Hell Creek Vertebra

fossilsonwheels

This is being sold as a Theropod vertebra. It is from Hell Creek, Carter County Montana. It is 2.25" long x 1.5" wide x 1.25" thick. It has dimensions similar to the vertebra of Dakotaraptor so I am assuming this was from a fairly large animal (Not saying it is Dakotaraptor, just similar in size according to a paper on line). SInce we are looking for my bones for kids to interact with this may not be a bad fossil to get if it is a theropod.

Any thoughts ?

theropodverthc.jpg

theropodverthc1.jpg

theropodverthc3.jpg

Second Vert, being sold as a Theropod vert, possibly Dromaeosaurid. It is from Hell Creek, Powder County Montana. Similar dimensions to the one above at 1.85" x 1.5" x 1.75. This one looks very interesting to me. I am guessing the holes are points of ligament attachment. Not a bad looking vert.

Any thoughts on this one ?

theropodverthellcreek.jpg

theropodverthellcreek1.jpg

theropodverthellcreek2.jpg

theropodverthellcreek3.jpg

Top one looks a bit similar to an ornithomimid like Struthiomimus 

Struthioverts1.thumb.jpg.361f47a7f5dea108c92339943132a3f4.jpg

The second one does have the possibility of being a Dromaeosaurid, Acherorapter? 

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Top one looks a bit similar to an ornithomimid like Struthiomimus 

Struthioverts1.thumb.jpg.361f47a7f5dea108c92339943132a3f4.jpg

The second one does have the possibility of being a Dromaeosaurid, Acherorapter? 

Yes that top one looks really similar to Struthiomimus. Thanks Frank. Several of the verts he has seem to fit Ornithiomimids not raptors.

I would think Acheroraptor on the second one too except the width is close to what I have read in the paper about Dakotaraptor. This seller has a number of theropod verts and several are very similar to the second one. I will post another one that caught my eye.

i am kind of enjoying the investigation of bones. Lots of mysteries. Makes for some fun reading and learning.

With just a centrum and nothing published other than caudals of Dakotaraptor difficult to assign it to any genus.

Here is another one I found pretty interesting. 2"x 1.25" x 1.5". Powder River County Montana.

thervert100-001__40705.1537663058.jpg

thervert100-002__09203.1537663065.jpg

thervert100-009__86912.1537663112.jpg

thervert100-007__50041.1537663093.jpg

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

With just a centrum and nothing published other than caudals of Dakotaraptor difficult to assign it to any genus.

I know there won't be a genus or species ID. I am more interested in getting it to a family level is possible. It is good education for me :)

It is a nice one. Pretty expensive but maybe I can talk him down. Thanks Frank :)

16 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

It is a nice one. Pretty expensive but maybe I can talk him down. Thanks Frank :)

You gotta release your inner pawn star! "Let me call a buddy of mine who's an expert on theropod vertebrae"

Good luck in your endeavors, it is a nice fossil and I hope you can get it.

11 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

You gotta release your inner pawn star! "Let me call a buddy of mine who's an expert on theropod vertebrae"

Good luck in your endeavors, it is a nice fossil and I hope you can get it.

hahaha I was watching Pawn Stars last weekend with my daughter. Awesome Noel. Thank you. Hopefully I can swing something.