Last Of The Nautilus

Terry Dactyll

Heres the other Nautilus I collected just over a week ago..... As bear pointed out to me, this shell must of been exposed on one side from the sediments on the sea bed, prior to fossilisation and then the shell rotted away..... Looking at where the calcite just stopped helped me decide which side to prep it from....presumably pointing me to the the underside, and once into the fossil, it was obvious it had undergone some compaction and distortion which broke the shell.... also the calcite when very thin.... but seeing I'd found it, carried it off the beach, and had put a few hours in on it, I continued the mission and made it into a displayable example... and its come out quite nice...

Side prepped from

post-1630-12549125515891_thumb.jpg post-1630-12549125828001_thumb.jpg post-1630-12549126086758_thumb.jpg

Cenoceras obesum ....Sinemurian .....Lyme Regis.... Dorset

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Really a GOOD, GOOD job...

So the other side is the bad one, it isn't?

At least myself, sure that I don't take home the original "stone"...

Great work, congratulations.

Edited by balanocidaris

Up to your usual high standards, Steve. Very nice! Each one you find has its own challenges...but it's clear that you up to them.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi Steve, you demonstrate so impressive result, it's just amazing! How you can deside what part has to be deleted and what retained? Are minerals of surrounded rock and fossil so different? How much time you spent to complete from the beginning?

And my congratulations!

Thanks Guys & Fig ....

balanocidaris....Thanks and yes... the other side was probably the upper surface, prior to fossilisation, and it hasnt preserved...

Romank....deciding whats deleted and retained.... is a work in progress experience thing, maybe a bit of ''artistic flare'' as well ...... due to the nautilus rotting down on the upper suface, the sediments inside and outside the fossil that formed the rock are the same.... so only the surface of the fossils itself (the shell) has been rpelaced by a 2mm thick calcite.... so its this layer I work down to.... and theres no sepration layer.... the rock clings like superglue to the calcite, so the last bits I have to sand off with wet & dry sandpaper... This one took 23 hours to complete...

Out of all the 'Good Stuff' I have sat there waiting to be prepped , this has landed on the bench because I dont recognise the rock layer its in, I think its a coroniceras of some description, but the rock itself looks different to the layers I normally collect.... I found it a coupler months ago and have been meaning to investigate it....you can see theres some restoration to one side required.... and Im still undecided which side to prep it from, this ones a gamble.... I'll let you know how I get on....

post-1630-12549927440789_thumb.jpg post-1630-12549927710194_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your interest guys.... ;)

Romank....deciding whats deleted and retained.... is a work in progress experience thing, maybe a bit of ''artistic flare'' as well ...... due to the nautilus rotting down on the upper suface, the sediments inside and outside the fossil that formed the rock are the same.... so only the surface of the fossils itself (the shell) has been rpelaced by a 2mm thick calcite.... so its this layer I work down to.... and theres no sepration layer.... the rock clings like superglue to the calcite, so the last bits I have to sand off with wet & dry sandpaper... This one took 23 hours to complete...

Out of all the 'Good Stuff' I have sat there waiting to be prepped , this has landed on the bench because I dont recognise the rock layer its in, I think its a coroniceras of some description, but the rock itself looks different to the layers I normally collect.... I found it a coupler months ago and have been meaning to investigate it....you can see theres some restoration to one side required.... and Im still undecided which side to prep it from, this ones a gamble.... I'll let you know how I get on....

post-1630-12549927440789_thumb.jpg post-1630-12549927710194_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your interest guys.... wink.gif

Thank you Steve for detailed explanation.

Steve, you know I love your work, but I'm sure there are some folks looking at these last two photos and thinking "how the heck does he see an ammonite in that rock?" I can barely see a few small details that hint at the monster inside. Do those details show up better when the rock is damp? Thanks. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

JohnJ.... Its not always raining over here you know ! . :) ... It does stand out a little bit better wet.... You can see the thickness of the shell I have to work with on this one and also the colour of the calcite (blacky yellowy) ..... But the rock is kind so far, the gamble is, if its all there or just a piece.... I dont profess to know anything about geology, but the limestone is different to my usual layer and I would call it fibrous, low in pyrite with few shelly inclusions causing me trouble (so far).... I managed to do 2 hours on it this afternoon.... ;)

post-1630-12550207171298_thumb.jpg post-1630-12550207391883_thumb.jpg

I couldnt find how to start a 'Blog'..... i clicked on Blogs, but there wasnt the 'new topic' button... so Ill just bang a few photos in here... Im 6 hours in now.... still only roughing rock off... but the fossil is starting to make some sense to me....showing the way it will display best....the shell is ultra thin... but were ok so far...

post-1630-12551907078709_thumb.jpg post-1630-12551907316133_thumb.jpg

I couldnt find how to start a 'Blog'..... i clicked on Blogs, but there wasnt the 'new topic' button... so Ill just bang a few photos in here... Im 6 hours in now.... still only roughing rock off... but the fossil is starting to make some sense to me....showing the way it will display best....the shell is ultra thin... but were ok so far...

post-1630-12551907078709_thumb.jpg post-1630-12551907316133_thumb.jpg

Hey Terry, just click on your name in the top right corner and then click on "my blog" :)

Fig.... Thanks.... whoder thought it was all the way up there... :D ....

Ive found the end.... \o/... although still roughing rock off, doing the hardest side first....Its difficult exposing the keel as your working deep, which isnt evident from the photograph....probably another 2 hours to go on the keel....a chunk of rock popped off showing me some more of the ammonite on the 2nd whorl and it looks more calified towards the centre...... as I say, its new rock to me, and different to stuff Ive collected previously.... so im working blind.....and Ive cut a base deciding how it will display... its a heavy specimen..... Im about 12 hours in....

post-1630-12554243525777_thumb.jpg post-1630-12554246202365_thumb.jpg