Razor Ranch

fossil man

i am hoping to do some fossil hunting next week, assuming it stops raining, and i was hoping to hit razor ranch. I have never been to the place but looked at it on aerial photos. I hoping someone would be so kind and tell which side of the road to hunt or are both sides good to hunt. I assume you hunt behinde one or both buildings, but do i need to ask permission from someone? I just dont want to get in trouble for having fun. If anyone has any other information that you think would be helpful, feel free to add it. Thanks in advance for all the help.

fossil man

The large pits that were the source of most of the specimens from the Grayson and the upper Main Street Formations are now fenced off so I assume that means that pit collecting is off limits. The only exposures of the Grayson Formation are south of US Highway 380 and east of Interstate Highway 35. I would assume that the open flats are still available for collecting but I strongly recommend that you check with the cosntruction company that is developing the locality. They may allow you to collect away from the active development. There is quite a bit of float material present and some decent specimens of Kingena sp., Mariella sp., Phymosoma sp., Coenholectypus sp and Craginites may be found. Rarer echinoids have been found in the pits, however. There are exposures on the north side of US Highway 380 just north and east of the Crackerbarrel Restaurant. I have not been to the northern exposures yet and I have not been to the Razor Ranch locality in most of a year since the pits have been fenced.

Mike

It's been a year and change, but I parked at the grocery store and walked across the site. Picked up a lot of stuff all the way across. The pits were good, too. Probably a lot more construction there now. mapquest.com has the newest aerial picture and it looks a year old.

I was there with Dave Bowen and family about a month ago.Since the pits are now fenced we concentrated our efforts on the large spoil pile that fronts the East side of I-35.We found some nice Plesioturrilites,brachiopods,nautiloid pieces and I did manage these two echinoids.

post-417-12549738057301_thumb.jpg

Well thanks for the advice. I am sure glad i asked before i made the trip. Sounds like it was quite the spot before the fence.