Practice Fotm For October

Phoenixflood

Thought I would make this thread so you all can post great finds over this month of October but not have to worry about selecting an Official one for the month.

If you have already posted in the offical thread you may edit in case you have a better find this month. :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

hey, since we're just practicing, i'd like to submit the little rock thingee in the middle of the picture that looks like it has four lines on it. i believe it's a petrified early gambling machine. i call it a <drumroll> "four-liner".

post-488-12550860119528_thumb.jpg

Practice? practice what...October FOTM Submissions? :unsure:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

yes - pay attention.

as hesitant as i am to put words in anybody's mouth, i'm thinkin' that pf noticed that people were already posting snarge for october and dint want to sort through a month of multiplicitula's worth of stuff by each person, so he created this strange topic, thinking that you and dan would each post like fifty things here and then at the mend of the onth, you could sort through your snarge yourself and pick the most specialicious one and relocate it to the real october topic, where pf could copy the pic into a microscopic thumbnail that nobody can really see without squinting and then post for voting.

i've already decided which fossil i'm voting for for october - i'm just waiting for the person to find it and post it.

yes - pay attention.

as hesitant as i am to put words in anybody's mouth, i'm thinkin' that pf noticed that people were already posting snarge for october and dint want to sort through a month of multiplicitula's worth of stuff by each person, so he created this strange topic, thinking that you and dan would each post like fifty things here and then at the mend of the onth, you could sort through your snarge yourself and pick the most specialicious one and relocate it to the real october topic, where pf could copy the pic into a microscopic thumbnail that nobody can really see without squinting and then post for voting.

i've already decided which fossil i'm voting for for october - i'm just waiting for the person to find it and post it.

I just wanted to make sure that people had a place that they could display their great finds from October without having to be locked into a particular find for FOTM. This way when Nov 1st rolls around people can just copy and paste their choice into the offical thread.

As for my pictures tracer, you are welcome to edit my thread to make them larger. Being that I am not a computer minded person I am not good with internal links.

I think that establishing a venue to display all the month's great finds is a great idea! Daily eye candy which might not otherwise be presented for my delectation because it might not make the cut for FOTM; gimme!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just wanted to make sure that people had a place that they could display their great finds from October without having to be locked into a particular find for FOTM. This way when Nov 1st rolls around people can just copy and paste their choice into the offical thread.

As for my pictures tracer, you are welcome to edit my thread to make them larger. Being that I am not a computer minded person I am not good with internal links.

no - s'ok - nothin' wrong with what yur doink. i was just trying to be early morning funny, which prolly dint work that well... link

post-1313-12552219094336_thumb.jpg

I'm waiting for this to fosilize so I can post it.... B)

Be true to the reality you create.

This is my find of the Month for Oct. If I dont post it now, I might forget... :blush::wacko::blink:

Plioplatecarpine Mosasaur Tooth

Found in Dallas County, Tx : Eagle Ford Group, Arcadia Park formation

10-08-09

Its a pretty rare find for this area.

post-221-1255223636371_thumb.jpg

post-221-12552236522334_thumb.jpg

Its not very often I will find and prepare a fossil within the same month to enter it into the contest.... so I better post this as my October entry incase I dont find out else lol.... It prepped itself :D .....

Found on the 11th of October, quite a large nodule and it links the water with the land.... the scale of a very large predatory fish that flourished in the rivers during the upper carboniferous times and a fragment of a tree fern that had washed or blown into the river during a storm....which finally come to settle slightly overlapping the scale in the sediments... the association is in such close proximity they actually fossilised together within the same nodule.... 300 million years later I hit it with a hammer and it 'popped open'... so I only had to wash the mud off the outside....

Rhizodont Scale & Lavienopteris frond... Upper carboniferous Westphalian, Lancashire Coalfield.....

post-1630-12552751156213_thumb.jpg post-1630-12552751536202_thumb.jpg

post-1630-12552751842638_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This past Saturday our local club had a field trip to a nearby Silica Shale site. I found these plus six more. These are the best and obviously the one on the left is the best of the bunch. I hope to have it cleaned in time to enter it in the "official" FOTM.

crinus

post-391-12553089975531_thumb.jpg

post-1313-12552219094336_thumb.jpg

I'm waiting for this to fosilize so I can post it.... B)

[Picture of live fish] See, this is why we need the practice :P:D

Nice finds Terry, Crinus, and Jax! Love those trilos :wub: