Hell Creek Theropod Tooth- Acheroraptor?

fossilsonwheels

This is a .35" theropod tooth from the Hell Creek formation, Carter County Montana. It is a really pretty little tooth for sure and it would look great in our Acheroraptor display. I believe I see the ridges that are diagnostic to that species, especially in the first picture. I wanted to run this by the forum to be sure I am seeing what I need to see though.

acher.jpg

ach1.jpg

I think I see what you mean. Are the serrations on the mesial carina as small as they seem to be in the picture? They should be bigger on the distal carina then on the mesial and that does seems to be the case here.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I think I see what you mean. Are the serrations on the mesial carina as small as they seem to be in the picture? They should be bigger on the distal carina then on the mesial and that does seems to be the case here.

Yup, the size difference is there. I asked that question and they are smaller on the mesial.

It does appears to be a Dromaeosaurid tooth....used a photocopy to verify serration density and looks like D around 6 and M around 8.  It does have some of the characteristics of an Acherorapter tooth like apically oriented Distal denticles but Im not seeing the ridges other than possibly one on the top photo close to the mesial edge.  Might be lighting or me. 

• I found this Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It does appears to be a Dromaeosaurid tooth....used a photocopy to verify serration density and looks like D around 6 and M around 8.  It does have some of the characteristics of an Acherorapter tooth like apically oriented Distal denticles but Im not seeing the ridges other than possibly one on the top photo close to the mesial edge.  Might be lighting or me. 

I had the same problem. I think I see the ridges but I can not be sure. I will seek more pictures from the dealer.

@Troodon    Same dealer also has this tooth. Same location, almost the same size .37". This one actually looks like the one I might go with. I think I see the ridges here. The serrations look to be the right size difference but they do not show as well in the pictures.

acherorap.jpg

acherorap1.jpg

I think I will ask for a better pics of the mesial serrations. That should help

Looks likes an associated pair.  Thats a nice tooth.  Bottom photo might have a ridge or two but not strong one.  Reminder we do not have much of a dentition with the holotype so not much is known and if the ridges are present or how strong with all the teeth.  I actually had an opportunity to hold it and buy it when it was found but the digger wanted crazy money.  It looked a lot nicer when it was on matrix.  They busted up some teeth when they extracted it very sad.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Looks likes an associated pair.  Thats a nice tooth.  Bottom photo might have a ridge or two but not strong one.  Reminder we do not have much of a dentition with the holotype so not much is known and if the ridges are present or how strong with all the teeth.  I actually had an opportunity to hold it and buy it when it was found but the digger wanted crazy money.  It looked a lot nicer when it was on matrix.  They busted up some teeth when they extracted it very sad.

They are both nice teeth. I would grab both but this seller is also holding a Leptoceratops tooth for me so I can only get one. I am going with the bottom one. Even getting to hold that would have been awesome. This has really become my favorite dinosaur I think. It is unfortunate they broke some teeth. i hear that is not uncommon. There is a lot we do not know but I am hopeful more will be found and we can a more complete picture of them. The kids have really loved Acheroraptor. It has been one of the more popular dinos so that is my excuse to keep picking up teeth lol