Naming Of Fossil According To Location Or Geo-Formation.

Iskandar

Its being a big question for me about how to label the specimens, especially the name. I've seen many confusing label recently. Some labeled with the location name, some the country name and some with the geological name.

For example; The fossil resin found in PCS, Aurora, NC, USA. The fossil resin believed to be found in the Pungo River formation strata. There are several name I have heard; A. North Carolina Amber B. Lee Creek Amber C. Pungo Amber D. Pungo River Amber. Which one is the most correct? Please vote!!

Second example; The Shark tooth found on the Yorktown layer. Should it be called Yorktown Shark Tooth or Pliocene Shark tooth or just labeled the species (if known).

Third examples; ....

as for the shark tooth, i'd label it "genus, species, pliocene, yorktown formation, county name, north carolina"

as for the amber, i'd label it "amber, pungo river formation, lee creek/pcs phosphate mine, county name, north carolina"

but label it however you wish, if it's your fossil...

Most important thing on a label is location. And as specific as you can be, so if you know the layer or formation it came out of that is great. These days with GPS you can even record exact latitude and longitude. Genus and species names are great if you know them and if the labels are to be read by others you might add the common name like shark, brachiopod, etc.

The other way to do all this is to have the simplest label: Genus, species, location & date and back that up with a catalog or database that has much more specific information about the location, stratigraphy, maybe maps or photos, etc.

All that said, as pointed out it is your collection and you can label as you see fit. Now lets see some pictures of that Pungo amber!

Guest solius symbiosus

I use the locality-acquisition method. I denote a number for the site locality; followed by the acquisition of the piece. Then, I record that in a note book, e,g; the first fossil found at the first locality that I ever collected is labeled 1-1.

As noted by erose, the locality is of primary importance, and all of the information that can be recorded about that locality... the better. For posterity, I, also, usually try to include a compass "strike" of the long axis(saggital) of the find.

All that said, as pointed out it is your collection and you can label as you see fit. Now lets see some pictures of that Pungo amber!

3204078078_8687d175b7.jpg

3620580043_77432e2096.jpg3606224858_866c7472e7.jpg

9 million years old Pungo Amber, PCS, Aurora, NC. I got them from my NC friend. Before this I have called its Lee Creek Amber.

Edited by Iskandar

I do the same as Solius....only very often I have nodules with a part and counterpart.... so i tend to have the same number... with an 'A & B' added on two seperate labels... it then links the fossil as one.... on my ID list, where I just record the number, scientific name, locailty and formation....I have never done specific dates, I just record the specimens as I find them over the exposures lifespan, usually a couple of years....

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This is the form i use to catalog fossils

The Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology use some like it.

The location of any fossil found is the most important

information of all the information with out this you only have a rock

or so I was told

post-310-12554886181042_thumb.jpg