Advice For Splitting Some Fish (Greenriver)

Mioplosus_Lover24

Hey, I am finally completing my dream-job at the American fish dig quarry!!! I am just looking for some advice from you Greenriver veterans! Any helpful tips, like what I should bring, what I should do, and where the best place too eat is when it is all over! 

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

My favorite restaurant in Kemmerer is El Jalicience.

American fossil is a great place to collect.

There are a few mass mortality ash layers.

otherwise the fish can be found randomly throughout the exposures.

My only suggestion is to try and excavate the largest slabs possible. You have a much better chance recovering bigger fish in one piece. Take your time and split the rock as thin as possible.

Best of luck and share your finds.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, RCFossils said:

Best of luck and share your finds.

I'll send you my shipping address!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Think BIG!!!!!! There are small fish all over the place and you could waste much of your time picking these up. As RCFossils said, select the LARGEST slabs pulled down and work those. You will get plenty of smaller fish from these rocks but have a high likelihood of coming home with a large intact fish. Good luck!!! It is very fun splitting and hoping for that special find. My largest fish came out of a big slab but it still was a partial, about18 inches. Wish the tail was found. My experience showed that my finely split fossils did not fair the trip as well back to Minnesota. So depending on how you will transport these, you may want to quit splitting before the finds become too fragile. 

Mike 

• I found this Informative 2

Advice For Splitting Some Fish 

I think a reasonable split ratio would be 60% for you, 40% for snolly! After all you are bearing the labor and expense, so the majority share of the split should be yours! Good luck and have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

52 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'll send you my shipping address!

:default_rofl:

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

53 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Advice For Splitting Some Fish 

I think a reasonable split ratio would be 60% for you, 40% for snolly! After all you are bearing the labor and expense, so the majority share of the split should be yours! Good luck and have fun.

You might get a "Snolly on Sax" CD for your troubles.  That would be worth it right there!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You might get a "Snolly on Sax" CD for your troubles.  That would be worth it right there!

Yes! Especially if he is plagued by stray cats hanging around his home.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

39 minutes ago, caldigger said:

:zzzzscratchchin: Sounds Fair Enough!