Local Construction Site Shark Teeth

Mango

Found a new area to hunt while I wait for the Peace River to drop. Some ponds were dug for a new development that might be years before it appears. There are some nice spoil piles with lots of small teeth and bone fragments.

I have attached a few of our favorite finds this weekend. My 9 yr old son found the 2 1/2" meg. His best friend found a beautiful near 2" white tooth. It was his first time fossiling. I let out some loud shouts when he found it. Not sure if that find hooked him into fossiling, as within minutes he was riding a mountain skate board down the dirt piles. I needed more eyes, I wanted to hunt so bad. Finding a nice tooth always makes me think there is a bigger, better, rarer one nearby. I wanted to go back and hunt in the dark.

One of the ponds is being drained and appears to be very deep. No signs of gravel or fossils yet in the pond walls. I am wondering if the surrounding matrix was excavated from these ponds or brought in from another location.

Beach glass hunting in Mexico next week, so it will be a couple of weekends before I get back to this spot. I hope for rain to wash away the windswept sand.

post-1351-12553185004514_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12553186409335_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

The pic of my truck shows what I am searching through.

I wish I got pics of the kids with their big shark teeth.

post-1351-12553190106397_thumb.jpg

post-1351-12553190301877_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

Chuck,

Cool stuff. I got out this weekend with my son, too.

But similarly he got distracted when I told him he could shoot at vultures with his bb gun.

Needless to say he didn't have much luck hitting anything!

He did find a nice little holaster echinoid.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

They can be tough to keep up with. Being lower to the ground, they scan areas much quicker than me hunched over. I let them have mud fights to give me time to find fresh patches of gravel.

You could get paid to keep the buzzards away from local boat ramps here. They eat the rubber molding around your car windows.

Pentax Optio W60

Mango.....Lovely little Meg tooth and finds....well done.... Temporary exposures are always worth a look... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Cool Meg. Also, Peace water levels are only about 1 ft. higher than the dead of winter levels. I hunted there on Saturday.

Peace water levels are only about 1 ft. higher than the dead of winter levels. I hunted there on Saturday.

That is good news. Thank you for the update. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get out there, but cant wait to hit some of the spots that have been freshened up.

Pentax Optio W60

• 2 months later...

Mango, just noticed your truck (early Bronco)! Love it. Have a 77 myself ;) Are you on classicbroncos? We were just down in Lakewood Ranch earlier this week visiting my Dad.

I am on the CB forum with the same name. The Bronco is fun, and actually necessary to get to the good spots at this site.

Small world. This site is in LWR. Call me next time you are in the neighborhood.

Pentax Optio W60

I am on the CB forum with the same name. The Bronco is fun, and actually necessary to get to the good spots at this site.

Small world. This site is in LWR. Call me next time you are in the neighborhood.

I'm the same name too. I'll definately do that.

• 2 weeks later...