Dropping Acid....

Frank Menser

post-1313-1255463298086_thumb.jpg

Acid Pit

Not a fossil but interesting IMO... This is from Miami, Fla. What has happened here is rain falls on the limestone carrying with it weak carbonic acid (Thankyou JKFoam for catching that :blush:). It gradually eats out holes such as this which later sometimes fill with calcite xls. These can sometimes be several feet across though this one is only about 4".

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

post-1313-1255463298086_thumb.jpg

Acid Pit

Not a fossil but interesting IMO... This is from Miami, Fla. What has happened here is rain falls on the limestone carrying with it weak carbolic acid. It gradually eats out holes such as this which later sometimes fill with calcite xls. These can sometimes be several feet across though this one is only about 4".

Uh-oh, that looks like BROWN acid on the top, looks like someone ignored the announcer... B)

"Hey groovy guys, groovy gals....Love, peace, dope, bells, incense, crash pads, Hare Krishna......Far out, solid, and b*tchin'" - or somethin' like that if I may paraphrase Cheech y Chong.....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have always been a great fan of those 2 guys....:D

Up in Bancroft, Ontario there is a locale called the Bear Creek Digs. Large vertical cracks in the pegmatite infilled with calcite veins. In those veins were tourmaline and apatite crystals as big as a mans arm and books of mica the size of regular printed books. The Bancroft Chamber of Commerce has some of those large crystals in their little museum right in town. Over the centuries rainwater on the forest floor liberated tannic acid from the leaf midden which dissolved the calcite surrounding the crystals.

'Glory Holers' looking for saleable specimens came through and dug out the rotted calcite and the dirt to get at those huge crystals to sell to museums and collectors. As they flung the dirt into large piles, they passed over the small stuff. I took the family up there for a look - see. We collected the throw - offs from the midden piles....nice little crystals the size of your finger or thumb. Only a couple of facet grade chunks of apatite though, but the rest were fine specimens. Only saw one bear and it rained the whole day while we were in the woods rock hounding. Great trip, great locale, fun geology. :)

Edited by Bear

I have always been a great fan of those 2 guys....:D

Up in Bancroft, Ontario there is a locale called the Bear Creek Digs. Large vertical cracks in the pegmatite infilled with calcite veins. In those veins were tourmaline and apatite crystals as big as a mans arm and books of mica the size of regular printed books. The Bancroft Chamber of Commerce has some of those large crystals in their little museum right in town. Over the centuries rainwater on the forest floor liberated tannic acid from the leaf midden which dissolved the calcite surrounding the crystals.

'Glory Holers' looking for saleable specimens came through and dug out the rotted calcite and the dirt to get at those huge crystals to sell to museums and collectors. As they flung the dirt into large piles, they passed over the small stuff. I took the family up there for a look - see. We collected the throw - offs from the midden piles....nice little crystals the size of your finger or thumb. Only a couple of facet grade chunks of apatite though, but the rest were fine specimens. Only saw one bear and it rained the whole day while we were in the woods rock hounding. Great trip, great locale, fun geology. :)

Ok...Since Apatite is one of mytop minerals I collect I am officially drooling... :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Fig...It's like...so there...cosmic y'know. :blink:B)

Be true to the reality you create.