Identification help

HughG8r

• New Members

Hey all! New to the site, found this while kayaking over the weekend in the Santa Fe River, near Rum Springs Park launch, upriver a bit, it was just down from a smaller spring boil, off the side of the main river way. Any idea of what it is? At first I was alarmed, then upon closer inspection, realized it probably belonged to an animal. Thanks in advance for the help! 

B0D3EAE6-F64F-46FA-833C-623945E19BAA.jpeg

8C6936D9-071B-45B0-ABE5-F59B2029DA8C.jpeg

2E9431B3-6B9C-4A36-BC4C-87415C098112.jpeg

Looks like a cannon bone (metacarpal), may be bison or from a modern cow.

On second thought it might be too slender for a cow or bison, lets see what others think.

• New Members

Any chance a relative date or era? Just by the coloration and condition or type of find? Found in about three feet of water, 20-30 yards from a small spring boil, Santa Fe River, north of Gainesville. No other bones underwater that I saw. Bottom is of bone is black, (burning?). So I’m interested if this is something common or an actual “historical” find, even within the “modern” era, 1900’s? Or is this like leftovers from someone’s recent BBQ... lol.. so new at this... thinking about studying up on how to find arrowheads or artifacts now. I think one could get an archeological license, like a fishing or diving license in the state of Florida times past. Not sure about all this but interested, I teach AP Art History... Florida born and raised... fun and fascinating stuff! Thanks for all the help so far! 

D600CFEC-5289-43F5-8FD8-1BD8BE3292F9.jpeg

53 minutes ago, HughG8r said:

Or is this like leftovers from someone’s recent BBQ..

I think this is most likely.

Bone can be stained black in a very short time when the conditions are right.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• New Members

Problem is, it was in a pretty remote area and no other bones were scattered about, underwater or on the top surface of the ground that I saw. There are no cows in the area... no home on the waterfront, anyone have an idea? I live in Gainesville, will the Florida Museum of Natural History test it, (keep it too I guess)? 

On 6/6/2019 at 3:21 AM, HughG8r said:

There are no cows in the area... no home on the waterfront, anyone have an idea?

What has been there in the last 400 years? What have flood waters brought down the river?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.