Requesting ID assistance

CanadaFossil

I have just begun fossil collecting and have acquired a few pieces that are unknow to me. Please help me identify this first puzzling one. 

Thank you  

Paul

F696C1C3-A5F8-4A48-94A4-C90898A40F59.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Crinoids.   

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lots and lots and lots of crinoid segments. Nice catch! The round things are the same segments in cross-section and/or individual discs from the segments. I wish my first finds had been that nice! 

Welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yep that is very cool! Can you add a scale/ruler or tell us what size the specimen is.... I can see the crinoid cross sections but some of the longer sections seem to taper alot and was wondering if there could be some tentaculites in there as well. Could just be the photo angle and or my phone... 

Regards,  Chris

Edit: So I'm looking at the photo on my desktop now and my brain is working overtime and Im still not sure if all of that is crinoidal or could there be Tentaculites in there...Here's the pic I have of a couple samples I'm hoping you see a similarity....I just cant tell if their are conical shapes or are they all columns? I am really curious what the sizes are...these guys I have dont seem to be more than 1-2cm long with less than 20 ribs. Let me know what you all think..Wont probably be the last time I'm seeing things that arent there....

5cf85ee0c27fc_Tentaculitesexamples.jpg.4ede606a03dfc38747c26814d4015e54.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
adding photos and additional comments

On 6/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, Plantguy said:

Yep that is very cool! Can you add a scale/ruler or tell us what size the specimen is.... I can see the crinoid cross sections but some of the longer sections seem to taper alot and was wondering if there could be some tentaculites in there as well. Could just be the photo angle and or my phone... 

Regards,  Chris

Edit: So I'm looking at the photo on my desktop now and my brain is working overtime and Im still not sure if all of that is crinoidal or could there be Tentaculites in there...Here's the pic I have of a couple samples I'm hoping you see a similarity....I just cant tell if their are conical shapes or are they all columns? I am really curious what the sizes are...these guys I have dont seem to be more than 1-2cm long with less than 20 ribs. Let me know what you all think..Wont probably be the last time I'm seeing things that arent there....

5cf85ee0c27fc_Tentaculitesexamples.jpg.4ede606a03dfc38747c26814d4015e54.jpg

Regards, Chris 

Sorry for the delay in responding, as i have been quite ill. Good info.

Here are some fresh photos  in different light. 

6E65AB97-6F22-4AD7-B1ED-AC650CABECDE.jpeg

I agree with the general consensus of crinoid stems. Further information will require supplying a more specific location of where it was found.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the additional good photos with scale...that is a great slab! Agree with the others they are crinoids.  

Hope you get well and can get back out there soon! 

Regards, Chris 

7 hours ago, Kane said:

I agree with the general consensus of crinoid stems. Further information will require supplying a more specific location of where it was found.

Unfortunately it came from an estate sale with no notes or indications what or where.   Thank you for your help. 

23 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Thanks for the additional good photos with scale...that is a great slab! Agree with the others they are crinoids.  

Hope you get well and can get back out there soon! 

Regards, Chris 

Thank you Chris. I am a fossil newbie and I appreciate the help. Do you have a guess what this would be worth. It will never be sold while I am alive, but I am curious to educate myself on fossil values. Is there a fossil valuation resource that you are aware of?  I got this crinoid piece, the large coral, the small coral that looks like a tooth, three pieces of petrified wood, and a gorgeous piece of “Whitby Jet” black jewelry grade limb section, and petrified wood that has opalized (no flash) into a white opal, and still able to see narrow growth rings. I paid just $30 US

Thank you to all that reponded so quickly and accurately with my request for help. It is much appreciated, as I am a 60 year old new fossil collector (did some in my youth and kept them all these years). I look forward to navigating the learning curve with the help of you good people. 

Paul

On 6/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, CanadaFossil said:

Thank you Chris. I am a fossil newbie and I appreciate the help. Do you have a guess what this would be worth. It will never be sold while I am alive, but I am curious to educate myself on fossil values. Is there a fossil valuation resource that you are aware of?  I got this crinoid piece, the large coral, the small coral that looks like a tooth, three pieces of petrified wood, and a gorgeous piece of “Whitby Jet” black jewelry grade limb section, and petrified wood that has opalized (no flash) into a white opal, and still able to see narrow growth rings. I paid just $30 US

Welcome to the addiction! I cant comment specifically on the worth due to fossil forum policy guidelines here but sounds like you have a nice collection and did well. If you bought it online you usually can do a simple historical search of completed/sold listings on the site by fossil type that will give you a range of what folks are paying for things. 

Continued collecting success!

Regards, Chris