Long weekend fossil hunting in Buffalo

Al Tahan

On the way home Monday 6/03/19 I checked out the Francis st RR cut in Bethany New York. 

Bad news. It’s listed posted trespassing so I only stayed for 3 min picked up 2 rocks and left. I ended up meeting with a friend out in Rochester and bought a few Eurypterids so it all worked out!

316F2605-A59C-44B4-A39B-E59A25B8E8E1.jpeg.1d1ada3c6124314dfef88894426fb34d.jpeg

The specimen on the right is from the mount Vernon bed which is the most basal bed of the wanakah shale. The black line is a preserved siphuncle from a cephalopod. I did an entire post on preserved siphuncles from the wanakah back in November or December. On the back is an Eldredgeops cephalon. Looks like these are the last of a dead fossil locality. Unfortunate.

Anyways....that’s all the fossil collecting I did. Maybe I will my new Eurypterids at the end of the thread but this was more about my fossil “hunting” not “buying” haha. 

Thanks for reading!!! 

Al

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Some nice trilos and I love those blastoids! :)

Really sorry for Joe. 

Thank you for the kind words. Joe is home now and back to almost feeling normal. Takes a couple weeks. 

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like You had fun and made some nice finds!

Hope You can continue to collect there.

Oh I did lol. If I’m lucky I can get a weekend like that once a year in buffalo 

Thanks very much for your detailed report and the introduction to your brother. Good to hear that he's doing better now. Jerry Bastedo gave me a taste of the sites around Buffalo a few years ago but it sure would be nice to be able to do what you've done someday.  It won't fit in on this year's visit, but maybe next time. How long before you relinquish your bachelorship?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Wow, Al - ALL of your finds are unbelievable!!! :default_faint:

I especially like the blastoid plate, the Pleurodictyum americanum corals (I think that's the species?), the monster gastropod, and the orthoconic nautiloid (Spyroceras ?) - what an amazing weekend!!! 

I'm glad to hear that all is okay now with your brother.

Glad you had such a productive trip, Al. :)

Wonderful report and finds!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Great trip Al! Wish I could get out for a hunt. Congratulations on some nice finds.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very impressive finds. Those are very nice trilobites.

Sorry to hear about the hospitalization. 

It seems you had a very good Week-end Al !:envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Wow this looks like quite the trip! I just got back from Penn Dixie a few weeks ago. Next time I make it to upstate NY I'll have to check out 1 or 2 of these spots :drool:

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

wonderful report and great finds. i hope to get to penn dixie this fall and perhaps other places in the area. would love doing a fraction as well as you did. thanks. tom