Are There Rules About Fossil Specimens?....

fosceal2

#1. I collect and prepare fossils for my own pleasure not to sell.

#2. Am I "Ruining" my fossils to where no one else will want them when I no longer want them?

I tend to like to photo and look at my fossils wet as I feel I can see more that way. If I find a treatment that achieves that ... would most collectors consider it to have ruined the fossil?

In jewelry if you break a gem and glue it back together it is worthless, in art pottery if you break a piece and repair it the value is drastically lowered. Is the same true of brachiopods and such? Again not a dollars and sense value but are broken brachiopods something only a child would want for their collection?

I am working on a limestone matrix that is full of shells in layers. I want to end up with a piece where the shells are uncovered but still on the matrix.As the top layers come off there are many complete and also damaged brachiopods shells coming off.These I just set aside. In this limestone the shells are still shell- they are very fragile. Once I get them uncovered they will need protecting. I think drying out makes them even more fragile.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best regards, Cecelia

I don't think you have to worry there are plenty of the fossils you are working with, what you are doing may infact increase the value of the fossils you are working with.

Guest Nicholas

I agree with Anson. If I had a matrix full of Fossils I would do my best to show off the best ones but I would also take care to preserve, or at least try to, some of the broken or not so good brachs. To me all fossils damaged or not have some value, I would add the salvageable ones to my collection, and I would put the broken fragments in a jar I call "The fragment Jar." I do the same with minerals, the pieces of minerals that I lose while prepping go into my "gem jar". It has no real value but it will eventually show you how many fossils you've prepped if you keep those jars over a period of time..

#2. Am I "Ruining" my fossils to where no one else will want them when I no longer want them?

I tend to like to photo and look at my fossils wet as I feel I can see more that way. If I find a treatment that achieves that ... would most collectors consider it to have ruined the fossil?

In jewelry if you break a gem and glue it back together it is worthless, in art pottery if you break a piece and repair it the value is drastically lowered. Is the same true of brachiopods and such? Again not a dollars and sense value but are broken brachiopods something only a child would want for their collection?

I am working on a limestone matrix that is full of shells in layers. I want to end up with a piece where the shells are uncovered but still on the matrix.As the top layers come off there are many complete and also damaged brachiopods shells coming off.These I just set aside. In this limestone the shells are still shell- they are very fragile. Once I get them uncovered they will need protecting. I think drying out makes them even more fragile.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best regards, Cecelia

Here's what I think, Cecelia . . .

Collectors want perfect invertebrate specimens, if such are available. The rarer the species, the more acceptable some imperfections.

A transparent stabilizer, such as Butvar-76, which can be removed, is not a fatal flaw to a good, invertebrate specimen. The goal is to stabilize the specimen without leaving a coating on the surface. That means you shouldn't use epoxy or polyurethane or other surface coatings for this purpose. Butvar-76, when at an appropriate dilution in acetone, will leave an invert specimen consolidated and will give the specimen a "damp" look (not glossy).

Broken and repaired and partial vertebrate specimens are the norm. Most of these fossils are expected to be consolidated. Again, the dilution of the plastic in acetone should be such that the dried specimen should look "damp," but not glossy.

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest solius symbiosus

What Harry said. The organic compounds in many substances are nothing more than an invite for bacteria to "munch away" at your pieces. A lot of museums found this out too late.

I think that sums it up perfectly

Harry, where does one get this Butvar -- 76 from?

Well, I bought mine from the Florida Paleontological Society at the Florida State Museum address in G'ville. I don't know if it's still available, Worthy. I think I paid $15 per pound for the powder -- a pound last a long time.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Try the Duco/Acetone mix and the Butvar/Acetone mix on a couple of pieces and see which you prefer. I've never used Butvar.

Thank you everyone for replies. I am going to try the butvar/acetone. I am glad I asked as I had been going to use colores epoxy resin clear which dries like glass and can be buffed.

Best regards, Cecelia