What bone is this?

Tdepasture

• New Members

I’m not ashamed to admit I'm new to this stuff. I can only assume this is a fossil because it doesn't look like a normal rock. I was recently in missouri, looking for rocks. I found this in a puddle in the road, near a rock shelf. Can anyone here tell what it is.

A051FD44-A0E2-4999-B1BC-394B7846B15D.jpeg

I'm not sure what you have there, but a possibility might be a piece of limestone or a gastropod steinkern with sponge borings (Entobia), in my thinking.

Wait for other opinions, please.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hmm, i think there are two possibilities:

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm not sure what you have there, but a possibility might be a piece of limestone or a gastropod steinkern with sponge borings (Entobia), in my thinking.

Wait for other opinions, please.

or it is something like porous concrete (in german: Gasbeton), or other stuff for building like this.

If ignoring the possible boreholes, i see no fossil here, too. Sorry :unsure:

Agree that the holes are most likely ichno fossils. I definitely do not think it is bone. The texture is similar though.

Guessing by the weave of the denim I would say this is about 3.5 to 4.0 inches in diameter and about 2.25 inches thick. It looks like something I've seen before, but I just can't seem to place it right now. If it comes to me I'll be back with the info.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Starting with an assumption of "bone", I came down with a bison cannon bone being similar in shape... WAG !!!!!

BisonCannonBone.JPG.89e18dcdb5245f666241f45e56407fba.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

45 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Starting with an assumption of "bone", I came down with a bison cannon bone being similar in shape

Can't really argue against it.

And I got out a deer cannon and really tried. :)

Sponge borings may destroy any hard substrate making it look like a bone (spongy), but some particular patterns of the boring sponges determined me to think about them.

a-b.jpg.e79fa058cef7d08d9d9b393b43102106.jpga.jpg.e0c5ef3020ae466ea4e2024fae975ac6.jpg

p1160453ablog7.jpg.d108fe01fb703a13d97817f438b94d47.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Tdepasture It might help to do a test on it. Tap it lightly with a spoon. Stone should ring sort of like fine china would. Bison bone may, if not mineralized, be a lower pitched sound more like a tunk.

I can't seem to come up with what it resembles in my mind. I think I'm starting to go senile. I just can't think of the word I'm looking for.

At any rate, it's definitely cool and collectible.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!