minnbuckeye

A good friend of mine is visiting from Kansas. We talked fossils (he is not a fossil hunter) which stimulated him to show me a picture of a shell he had recently found 1 mile off shore at Ft Pierce, Florida. I suggested throwing the picture on TFF and see what response I get. Any ideas? The shell is Very thin.20190628_122518-001.jpg.99cb7e3f552c1155015b5b8bd0c028da.jpg

Mike will surely know...

Is that a spire on the end--picture is a little out of focus but it does look like a very low one? I dont think most cowries have one? Any chance you have a picture/view of the other side/aperature? 

Regards, Chris 

@Plantguy,The shell is in Kansas and he is here in Minnesota with me. So this is our only picture to go off of. He thinks there is a little spire and the linear opening on the other side is offset, not centered.

It's pretty cool with that pattern and size.... I'm wondering.. Might be something like one of the olive shells...they have those sorts of features.. I'll look around tonight unless Mike or other she'll afficianados  come up with it sooner..regards Chris

Ed is texting his wife to see if she can send a pic from the other side and angles. If we get it, I will post the pics.

Mike

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Ed is texting his wife to see if she can send a pic from the other side and angles. If we get it, I will post the pics.

Mike

Sounds good. A shot with a ruler and/or the dimensions/length might help the gang as well. 

Regards, Chris 

@maxfossils, @Coco

Hi,

In order to identify a gastropod, it is essential to have a photo of the opening (front and not sideways).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Living in Florida, i'd suggest sending a photo off to the Shell Museum on Sanibel...www.shellmuseum.org. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/18/2019 at 9:28 AM, dalmayshun said:

Living in Florida, i'd suggest sending a photo off to the Shell Museum on Sanibel...www.shellmuseum.org. 

There are a couple resources like that...good idea! I was hoping one of the extant shell collectors might see the post/it and go oh yeah its ______!

But as Coco says we need some good pics to run with here..

Regards, Chris 

It is either Macrocypraea cervus or M. zebra.  Both are similar but can be differentiated as shown in the following LINK.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

@MikeR Thanks!! We actually visited a museum this week that had Macrocypraea on exhibit. I am sure of the genus ID now. Will work on species next but need more info from my friend.

Awesome! Thanks Mike. Sorry for taking this off into the ditch for looking for another ID when you had it pegged--Caldigger! @caldigger

Regards, Chris