Raining Crabs Today! Wooooooohoooooo!

RJB

I finally got the last of the firewood cut today. I think ive got about 11 to 13 cords of it now. That aught to last me awhile? Anyways, after that I grabed some crab balls and started 'poppin' them open. Then I grabbed some more from another container and got to work on those, then another box from another site until I got tired of going through crab balls. Here are just 3 pics, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with junk balls and then some, but I got quite a few nice ones and of 4 or 5 different species. WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!! The first pic is of two concs from different sites, but these two have the elbows stickin out. Ya gotta love these ones, no need to pop them open, just start preppin. The bigger one is most likely a vulgaris and the smaller one is more than likely a weaveri. The second pic is of a crab that for the life of me at the moment I cannot think of the name, but its a rarer crab that I dont get very often. Very exciting that one. And the last pic is of my pile of 'keepers'. And belive me, ive been through enough of these over the years and these are the best of the best that I got from this trip. Quite a few really. So even what I call my B-Grades are actually purty dang good, I just dont want to waist my time on the B-Grades. I also found another raninid and even a paleopinixxa. Anyways, I had a lot of fun today. Enjoy

RB

post-171-1256933689241_thumb.jpg

post-171-12569338160442_thumb.jpg

post-171-12569339585585_thumb.jpg

Crabs piled-up like, well, cordwood!

You go guy :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

sweet pile-o-crabs, that little one looks almost like an Archeopus (spelling) from Hornby, but I doubt it is.

sweet pile-o-crabs, that little one looks almost like an Archeopus (spelling) from Hornby, but I doubt it is.

Hey bonedigger. Its deffinetly not archeopus and I still cannot think of the dang name!!! And that remark on the other post about us being the coolest dudes that have EVER LIVED. I appologize to everyone for that. I meant to say that I,, the Great RB,, is the coolest dude that has every lived,,, with you,, bonedigger being a close second!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

RB

Modest, too!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Modest, too!

Ha!! Belive me Auspex. I have lots of fun being full of myself. If we ever get to meet eachother you will see just what a super nice guy, a very modest guy, a very very honest guy and a very giving guy I actually am. I think I hide my real self with all these post of the "great RB' snarge? I really just another average joe? Heh,,,heh,,,

RB

SECOND? second to none my friend!

Hey!! Hold it!! Whoa!!! Them thar are fighten words fella!!! Im not gunna tell you how many folks are underground being fertilizer for my trees! And im not guna tell you how many folks got a free trip to the hospital, and those are the folks I liked!! Ha!! Jesus im funny!!! But hey bonedigger dude, Im the type of guy who, after beating the tar out of you and you getting a free ambulance trip to see the doctor, Im still a good enough guy to bring you flowers and tell you how sorry I am that my knuckles are swollen from your body hitting them! HA!!! I really do hope that whoever reads this realizes that bonedigger and I are actually friends? Kinda? Maybe? Sorta? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

RB

I'll just have to make sure you've had a few more pint's and a little J.D. in ya. :phew:

maybe I'll get some travelers insurance as well!

Crabs piled-up like, well, cordwood!

You go guy :)

Ha!! Your funny Auspex. You alreay know about my 'gascrabs'. Im going to call my pile of keepers,,, Cordcrabs!!! Ha!! Thanks to you.

RB

OK. Newbie questions on the crabs....because we don't find them around here......

1. Do you always find a crab in each "rock ball" you find?

2. Why are they surrounded by rock in the first place?

3. And finally, are they deep (buried) when you find them, or just like in a stream bed ready

to be picked up.

Thanks in advance!

Very nice finds.

SC

OK. Newbie questions on the crabs....because we don't find them around here......

1. Do you always find a crab in each "rock ball" you find?

2. Why are they surrounded by rock in the first place?

3. And finally, are they deep (buried) when you find them, or just like in a stream bed ready

to be picked up.

Thanks in advance!

Very nice finds.

SC

welcome to the forum.

concretions are fairly complex phenomena and you should google the term and read up on them. no, they do not always have fossils in them. they tend to form in sedimentary strata, and then weather out when natural forces like rivers, creeks, the ocean, etc. cut down through the sediment and expose them. so yes, they could be lying in a river bed, or sticking out of the wall, etc. as for why they form, in the case of them forming around something like a crab, it seems that the chemical activity involved in the breaking down of the crab after death causes chemical activity and bondings within the matrix around the crab, and a concretion forms. if you want to google some of that stuff a bit, you can google "diagenesis". there are a lot of different things to study in the quest to understand where and how fossils have formed. i find it all very interesting.

welcome again

Good grief u boys are silly:rolleyes:. I think your both full of it and I love reading about it:D

Nice crabs and crab balls by the way.B)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'