BUTVAR QUESTION

Barby

I need information on butvar, please! I do not want a saturate, like vinac, for hardening. So far, I've ordered two of the formulas which do not work for me---(I had thought there was only one formula,which I've used for years, but I can't remember where I ordered it.)

Sooooooooo… now I found out that there are several formulae: 72,74,76,79,90,and 98! There may be even more.....

I want the white powder (not beads), which looks like flour, and when  mixed with acetone, adheres to the SURFACE of the matrix, securing the fossil from shifting; a bit will soak down in, but it will not fully penetrate. It will dry pretty quickly, leaving a slightly glossy "skin" on the matrix surface, and it will "skin over" pretty quickly.

(It will dissolve pretty quickly when poured into acetone, but will form a kind of gummy "ball" if not shaken pretty quickly after adding to the acetone. BUT-- if a ball forms, the "ball" WILL dissolve with shaking.)  After shaking , the solution will be CLEAR, not cloudy, and will not form lumps like gummy bears, nor form little soft beads which do not dissolve. 

ARRRRRRGH! after 19 years worth of  trouble-free butvar , I've wound up with a gummy mess, AND a collapsed junkpile. (79 and 98).

I have tried many different solutions of the 79 and the 98--all just soak in and take forever to dry.

I'd appreciate any information as to WHICH formula will adhere to the SURFACE of the matrix.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Topic moved to Fossil Preparation (Forum Help & Suggestions is specifically for forum features assistance).

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You want B76. It is almost a powder in its raw form and does not penetrate as deeply as other plastics when mixed with a roughly 25:1 ratio.

I don’t know B79 but B98 is insoluble in acetone.

• I found this Informative 1