They Do Exist They Really Do! 1St Meg

hokiehunter

Well almost.... I fought a super high low tide off and found my first meg tip ever at Bay Front Park yesterday. Only about 1.5 inches but no mistaking what it was. I started my new hobby of collecting shark teeth this summer and have slowly gotten the hang of it finding hemi's up to 1.25, mako's up to 1.5, and about every other species you can find in Calvert County but no hint of a meg until yesterday. I was beginning to doubt. I'm trying to organize my summer of finds today and will post photos later.

A quick question for those in the know... I am within about an hour of a bunch of spots (Bay Front, Matoaka, Flag Pond, Calvert Cliffs, Westmoreland etc...) but don't have a boat or kayak (yet) so I am limited to walking spots. Of those spots which is most likely to produce a meg in your opinion?

I'm really looking forward to winter collecting. Seems like the toofin (what my gf calls it) is getting better with the fall.

Congratulations ! It took me 2 years of hunting to find my first Megalodon tooth. Then, after the first one, I started finding them almost every other trip. I hope you have the same luck I did after finding the first one !

Now mind you, I'm not finding huge megs in perfect condition, but they're megs none the less. Keep searching. ;)

Congrats! It seems to me that those who dive tend to find the most megs out of all types of collecting but surface collecting like what your doing does tend to give up quite a few of them as well. A few tips for this type of collecting are:

1. Keep your eyes peeled

2. The earlier you get there the greater the chance you'll get fossils before someone else does

3. Low tide is your friend

I'd spend my time at Matoaka; late winter neap tide after some rough weather is worth calling-in sick for...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When beach combing for teeth, you're best bet it to look for areas of accumulation - shingle and the like - because that's where the majority of the fossils will end up. You'll find teeth proud of the surface sometimes, but you'll need to familiarise yourself with every partial angle of teeth; if you keep it up, you should get good at recognising teeth half buried in sand and pebbles.