More Construction Fossils

Mango

My construction site is still producing. I found some new areas that had decent gravel spread today. I wish I discovered this spot during the rains. A lot of the gravel is covered over with wind blown sand. I am sure there are some great treasures underneath.

I took 3 kids and we all had a great time. One of my sons friends commented that he didn't find many teeth today, but did go home with some of his more interesting finds. Not sure what they were, as my eyes were glued to the ground. There are a lot of rib chunks and other bone fragments, and he did have a heavy bag of finds.

I have yet to find any turtle shell fragments at this spot, but today I found a nice leg spur. Thanks to those who id'd one for my last year. Now I can spot them.

We got some decent hemis and tigers, and some teeth with interesting coloration.

I don't have many to compare it to, but the largest white appears very thick to me.

Every weekend we have gone to this spot, I have been keeping my eye on a pond that is being drained. I thought the gravel that was spread everywhere might have from this pond. I was getting excited because it was very deep and took almost a month to drain. Well, it is pretty much empty now, and there are no signs of gravel, shell, or fossils. I am disappointed. Thought I might get some fresh stuff. I guess the fill came from somewhere else.

My back hurts.

post-1351-12571353737328_thumb.jpg

Pentax Optio W60

...I don't have many to compare it to, but the largest white appears very thick to me...

Looks rather like a Meg to me :)

I wonder whether there might not be a sediment layer obscuring things in the bottom of that pond?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wonder whether there might not be a sediment layer obscuring things in the bottom of that pond?

Thats what I am thing. Could you dig down a foot or so and do so sifting

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Looks rather like a Meg to me :)

My nine year old corrected me on thinking it was a meg too. I guess I need to open one of the books on the coffe table, and refresh my id'ing.

I didn't get down into the pond as I had kids with me. I normally have to fight to keep the kids out of mud and ponds with aligators. I didn't want to promote it around them. There is some heavy equipment around the pond, so we keep a low profile and stay well away from any dangerous stuff. I will run over to the pond solo this week, and get down in it. I like the idea that there may just be sediment. If I do find treasures, I may have to do some night hunting as I am away this coming weekend. I will be bringing my cell phone to call for help if the mud at the bottom wont let me out.

Pentax Optio W60

Yeah, be careful of "keeper mud"...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Night hunting in a Florida pond ? You're more brave than I am. I don't worry about the gators during the daytime, but don't think I'd like to be in pond with them at night. Be safe!

Night hunting in a Florida pond ? You're more brave than I am. I don't worry about the gators during the daytime, but don't think I'd like to be in pond with them at night. Be safe!

This is a new development that is on hold. The pond I am referring to is now void of water. Should be gator free. I have not seen gators in any of the ponds in this subdivision. Yet. I will keep my eyes peeled for skunk apes too.

Pentax Optio W60

I got over to the pond this afternoon. It is deep, but still has water in it, so I can't get to the bottom. The sides are scary steep muck that wants to eat you. There was a little bit of gravel on the waters edge, but nothing that suggested the fill used in the construction site came from the pond. I was more confident in hunting elsewhere, although I only found small teeth today.

Pentax Optio W60

Great finds, love them teeth.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'