Ammonites, Trilobites, Fossil Fish: Another Western Adventure

Jeffrey P

22 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

One was destroyed. Two others were were broken, but repairable. The other 14 were alright. My two best fish I brought home in my carry on. I'm guessing you would know which ones those were. Trilos and ammonites all fared shipping well. 

I hate when hard found fossils break in transit. At least the "Trophy" fish got home safe in your bags. :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 10/2/2019 at 5:21 AM, Jeffrey P said:

This is a slab of straight-shelled nautiloids and another of Daonella, a bivalve.

Two very nice pieces. Love the detail in those nautiloids.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Love your report. I have been to 2 of those sites myself (and the Green River site wasn't one ;) ). Great job on the ammonites. Fossil Hill is an interesting and quiet site.

Great trip and finds Jeffrey.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:15 AM, Ludwigia said:

Great report Jeff. One of these days I might just follow you in your footsteps.

Thanks Roger. I do hope you get to collect someday at these sites.

• I found this Informative 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:13 AM, fifbrindacier said:

Great trip and finds Jeffrey.:D

Thanks.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:07 AM, Manticocerasman said:

beautiful trip and trip report Jeffrey :D

Thanks Kevin. I'm sure you would have loved Fossil Hill for the beautiful Triassic ammonites.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, Sjfriend said:

Love your report. I have been to 2 of those sites myself (and the Green River site wasn't one ;) ). Great job on the ammonites. Fossil Hill is an interesting and quiet site.

Thank you. Nice to know another Prida Formation fan.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, frankh8147 said:

Looks like you had another awesome trip!! Congrats on your finds!!

Thanks Frank. I'm sure you would have loved it too.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, ynot said:

Two very nice pieces. Love the detail in those nautiloids.

Thanks Tony. If it were not for you I wouldn't have those two excellent pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mention in this trip report that on the last day, before I visited the museum I check out another fossil site about 8 miles east of Coalville, UT, about an hour northeast of Salt Lake City. The locality was cited in a guide book to Utah mineral and fossil sites as a location for finding Cretaceous plants. I found the site without too much difficulty; a road cut, deeply eroded and the fossil bearing layers buried under debris too thick for me dig out, not having the proper tools, motivation, or time.  However at the bottom of the exposure I did find a few pieces of soft crumbly shale (more like clay actually) with some small carbonized plant stems and fossil mollusks, freshwater mollusks I'm assuming. I recently started examining these finds. I have plenty of marine mollusks in my collection, but these, I believe are the first freshwater examples.  According to the Utah Fossilhunter, the formation is either the Kelvin or the Henefer- Lower or Upper Cretaceous.

IMG_4839.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

• 6 months later...

What a great trip. American Fossil Quarry and Fossil Hill are both on my list of places to go. Does Fossil Hill require special permission to access? I would love to go camp there for a few days with my son and hunt fossils.