Texas October Collecting Report

Uncle Siphuncle

Even though you were off of work today it looks like you put your share in.Nice report! That Camel jaw section is preserved excellently...Great color! Love the little serpent Weston is holding and the bottles are great too.Thanks for sharing..

Cool stuff Dan!

I can only offer based on the final comments in section four that a man's work demands a man's meal, thus Weston had to dive in on the venison fajitas!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

yes, great as always, but the snake weston was playing with wasn't a rat snake.

Looked Nerodiaish! Maybe broad banded...

Edited by CreekCrawler

Well that wouldn't be my first misidentification in my reports!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Uhhh...sorry, Dan. I didn't mean to hand your kid a cobra... :blush:

Thanks for the serpentine correction...you see that all you kids out there...Blotched Water Snake

post-420-12573723661885_thumb.jpg

docile when this young, but get "defensive" as they get older...kind of like...

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Awesome! JOHN!!!!! That little echinoid is so cool! Is that the tiny guy you showed me that day? He is cool!

Thanks. Coming soon to a blog near you....

Sorry to hear your sick. Thank you though for taking the time to share all your wonderful discoveries with us. Your a true treasure hunter.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

back on the snake thing for a moment, here's a picture of tj holding a juvie blotched from a different area with somewhat different colors, although the pattern remains the same.

post-488-12574206432298_thumb.jpg

it has been my experience that juvenile snakes of bitey species sometimes do bite, and almost always seem to consider biting at first, but sort of act like they don't do it because they know it would be ineffective and don't want to tick you off and get into a fracas. so they focus more on getting away from you.

but most water snakes bite.

Good facts, tracer. When I pointed the snake out to Weston, it was doing the "I am a stick imitation"...I touched him and "no, I'm still a stick"...I began picking him up and "oh snarge, I've got to wiggle out of here". :D

You got me thinking about which native Texas snakes I've encountered that didn't seem inclined to bite...young or old. Right now, all that comes to mind is one of my favorites - hognose.

Good facts, tracer. When I pointed the snake out to Weston, it was doing the "I am a stick imitation"...I touched him and "no, I'm still a stick"...I began picking him up and "oh snarge, I've got to wiggle out of here". :D

You got me thinking about which native Texas snakes I've encountered that didn't seem inclined to bite...young or old. Right now, all that comes to mind is one of my favorites - hognose.

hognose snakes seem to be the most reliable at being considered non-biters. i've been bitten a lot and when i was younger considered it just an annoyance but am more concerned as i age regarding infection. but i kind of learned my lessoned on a friend's captive "non-biting" great-plains rat snake. those snakes are in fact considerably less aggressive than the texas rat snake ("chicken snakes") seen a lot around my part of texas. but that particular great-plains one time bit me as hard as it possible could. apparently it was in a mood that day. it also seems to matter a great deal under what circumstances both you and the snake come close enough for biting to occur. for example, if you lift a board, and a snake is coiled under it, and you reach down toward his head to grab him, you're a whole lot more likely to get bitten, all other variables aside, than if a snake is out running around and you pick it up from behind in the middle and don't squeeze it. and some snakes will bite a time or so, or even snap at the air toward you, and then decide that perhaps you're not going to eat them and start calming down a bit and lose the bitey-ness, at least for that particular handling episode. and then there are some snakes that just don't seem to know when to quit biting, as long as they aren't too exhausted to continue. when snakes are getting ready to shed, or are being presented food - all bets are off. i had one that went so nuts when getting food that it would strike and then have a seizure for a little while.