A Bit Of A Pelagornithid; Cf Odontopteryx Sp.

Auspex

Some few of you may know that I salivated at the thought of adding even a piece of a "false-toothed bird" to my display case. Well, while some of the unidentifiable bits-o'-bone languishing off-display in a shoebox might be from one of the 20 or so named species that ranged from the Paleocene to the Pleistocene, the defining characteristic (a serrated "toothed" bill) has eluded my acquisition. Until now. (And I got it for a song, since it had been misidentified).

This is a fragment from the lower mandible of a Pelagornithid from Khouribga, Morocco, late Paleocene/early Eocene. The taxonomy of this family is a real train wreck, but I am probably safe referring it to Odontopteryx sp.

Bigger that an albatross and similarly built, members of this family made their living snatching fish from the ocean's expanse, and persisted for 60 million years. Being pelagic birds, their remains are widely distributed, but scarce and fragmentary.

post-423-12573826660855_thumb.jpg

(Just a teaser, but I have another, better example en-route via slow boat; I will post it once I have it in my trembling hands :D ).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thats a really great specimen and im glad you got a deal and I bet your in 7th heaven!:goodjob:

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

hmmm, what does one say when someone posts a piece of a pelagornithid? i would say i'm speechless, but we all know that's never true. ok, wait, wait, i know...um, i don't know. nice fanged duck, birdman.

With the rarity of your quarry, I guess you do get the "thrill of discovery" when you make a digital find. Can't wait to see it.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Some few of you may know that I salivated at the thought of adding even a piece of a "false-toothed bird" to my display case. Well, while some of the unidentifiable bits-o'-bone languishing off-display in a shoebox might be from one of the 20 or so named species that ranged from the Paleocene to the Pleistocene, the defining characteristic (a serrated "toothed" bill) has eluded my acquisition. Until now. (And I got it for a song, since it had been misidentified).

This is a fragment from the lower mandible of a Pelagornithid from Khouribga, Morocco, late Paleocene/early Eocene. The taxonomy of this family is a real train wreck, but I am probably safe referring it to Odontopteryx sp.

Bigger that an albatross and similarly built, members of this family made their living snatching fish from the ocean's expanse, and persisted for 60 million years. Being pelagic birds, their remains are widely distributed, but scarce and fragmentary.

post-423-12573826660855_thumb.jpg

(Just a teaser, but I have another, better example en-route via slow boat; I will post it once I have it in my trembling hands :D ).

Auspex,

Very nice pick-up. Most dealers have gotten wise to pseudodontorn beak sections (and priced them into the stratosphere) but you must have bagged one still floating out there from the old days or perhaps part of a more recent lot not fully examined (was there an Otodus on the other side?).

thats wicked auspex! i want one!!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I think it's a sawfish rostrum =P

AHHHH thats just wrong!!:P

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I think it's a sawfish rostrum =P

Rip, or cross-cut?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!