MrBones

Found this yesterday on a hill close to shipwreck beach, Ruwais, UAE. I think it looks like a lizard jae, I found a couple pieces of tortiose shell fragments. 20191031_143031.thumb.jpg.b9ed1844cd424a30a5a2cc130a4fca31.jpg20191031_143111.thumb.jpg.2ba82dc6bca9cfcacf57b6fccc07aa93.jpgI know it is difficult to id things from here, but you guys can tell me what you think it could be. I think it is about miocene age.

16 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I think it is a piece of the hinge of a clam.

Don

I don't think so, we don't have a lot of clams here. The at the end of the fossil ther is a sort of cross-section where it had broken off from another piece, ther is a hole in the middle, it looks simmilar to a bone. I have found some crocodile scutes, and other animal bones in the same location.

I took the freedom to fiddle a little bit with your pics:

Ac.jpg.0753adf20ce78f11e2f49ec76fcf7ad5.jpg

(There seems to be no difference between the supposed jaw (bone) and the supposed teeth, everything seem to be the same material.)

I agree with @FossilDAWG, hinge part of a clam is very probable. But I am not 100% certain. Structure is somewhat strange for a clam shell.

Edit: Ok, if it is indeed a jaw section, than the teeth would have been in the holes, and all teeth have already fallen out, only bone left.

Are you able to provide an end view, @MrBones? Thank you!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Yea, see, I don't think "clam hinge" fits the specimen's features, esp. having seen the end.  But I agree that the "serrated edge" does not look like teeth.  As @FranzBernhard put it so well:

"There seems to be no difference between the supposed jaw (bone) and the supposed teeth, everything seem to be the same material."

So what is it?  I'm clueless so far.  Can I phone a friend?:default_faint:

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, MrBones said:

Can't get the camera to focus on something so small unfortunately

Sure, we all have technical limitations, but you are doing your best, thank you!

But I can see enough, that I can not decide between bone or clam - or something totally different. ;):headscratch:

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

The plot thickens.

Oh yes, but I don´t know what kind of soup it will be :D.

47 minutes ago, grandpa said:

I'm clueless so far.  Can I phone a friend?

Same situation here!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Plax said:

perhaps a fossil gorgonian fragment? This is a guess not an ID.

Seems a bit odd for a coral to be found where crocodile scutes have been found. Good guess though.

The interior looks more like calcitic shell material than bone, to me. :unsure:

20191031_181612.jpg.3f89ede9ade9d46268d65dff9627e94d.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tough to say from these photos, but I'm wondering if it could be a sunbeached, eroded fish fin spine?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Tough to say from these photos, but I'm wondering if it could be a sunbeached, eroded fish fin spine?

The problem I ran into is the right angles in the structure. Seems unfishy. :headscratch:

Looks a bit like part of a crab claw.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

14 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Looks a bit like part of a crab claw.

I disagree... (sorry)

I'm in the weathered fish spine camp. Looks very similar to it.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

My curiosity got the best of me and I was searching for a possibility when I stumbled onto this: On some Mississippian (Carboniferous) brachiopods from neptunian dykes of the Harz Mountains (central Germany) had a picture of brachiopods with this exact look. I could not copy the article without paying out a lot of money. Just throwing a possibility out there.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have recently found another piece similar to this one. I am wondering whether it could be a catfish barb.

Here is a photo, the new piece is on the bottom.

20210706_142357.thumb.jpg.c67c7b856b737a6dbebed705cdf04de8.jpg