Hunting New Area Close To Home

Infidel

Decided to take it easy today and go out for a hike/fishing trip/fossil hunting/exploring trip at a little spot a few minutes from the house. Got the river and a fishing buddy of mine was already there fishing. The first gravel bar I started poking around in I found 3 small echinoids within 30 minutes, didn't find another for the next 2 hours. I've really started looking for the micro stuff now, which is probably why I saw these. Found a couple of things I can't identify, maybe someone can help.

post-2385-12576302813915_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576303313894_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576303735555_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576303837777_thumb.jpg

post-2385-1257630401396_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576304109635_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576304143241_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576304568516_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576304703376_thumb.jpg

post-2385-12576304819986_thumb.jpg

Take it easy, but take it

Neat finds! I'm probably wrong but the piece in pics 2-7 looks like a fossil nut to me. Not familiar with what you can find down there but that is what it looks like to me.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Neat finds! I'm probably wrong but the piece in pics 2-7 looks like a fossil nut to me. Not familiar with what you can find down there but that is what it looks like to me.

Thanks, that's the oddity I'm trying to figure out. No idea what it might be, but it's definitely fossilized, and not just another pretty rock. Pretty sure everything should be cretaceous in origin that I find, but I'm new to stuff, so who knows.

I checked out a new spot today, both for fishing and fossil hunting. Miles of cliff face eroded by the river, and yet no fossils anywhere. I found an ammonite piece and an echinoid piece in the gravel bar, nothing else in 4 hours. It was cool exploring though, and the fishing was pretty good.

Great finds! Its always good when the fossils are close to home. What kinda fish didya catch?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Great finds! Its always good when the fossils are close to home. What kinda fish didya catch?

I catch large mouth bass, guadalupe bass, red breasted sunfish and a few other sunfish. Big carp when I get lucky.

Thanks, that's the oddity I'm trying to figure out. No idea what it might be, but it's definitely fossilized, and not just another pretty rock. Pretty sure everything should be cretaceous in origin that I find, but I'm new to stuff, so who knows.

I checked out a new spot today, both for fishing and fossil hunting. Miles of cliff face eroded by the river, and yet no fossils anywhere. I found an ammonite piece and an echinoid piece in the gravel bar, nothing else in 4 hours. It was cool exploring though, and the fishing was pretty good.

The fossil in 2-7 is a solitary coral. Parasimalia (sp?) I believe, or something like that. Think horn coral but without the outer layer and not as pointy or tapered.

There is one of those odd rules that says if you get something really great in the first few minutes the rest of the day will be a bust. That can be countered by the day when after fruitless hours and hours you are headed back to the car and you have to get home and you find the most awesome thing sitting next to the car. And don't get me started on "beginner's luck."

The fossil in 2-7 is a solitary coral. Parasimalia (sp?) I believe, or something like that. Think horn coral but without the outer layer and not as pointy or tapered.

There is one of those odd rules that says if you get something really great in the first few minutes the rest of the day will be a bust. That can be countered by the day when after fruitless hours and hours you are headed back to the car and you have to get home and you find the most awesome thing sitting next to the car. And don't get me started on "beginner's luck."

Thanks for the help. Maybe this is it?

327152_Full.jpg