Monster Fossil Leaf !

RJB

Ok, the title may be a bit of a stretch. There are much larger fossil leafs in the world such as those gigantic palm leaves. Plus this one is really not in very good conditon. In fact, now that I think of it, this specimen is almost trashcan worthy!! ok, just kidding. It really is a rather large leaf, and once I get it trimmed up, I will keep it?,,, Sell it?,,, Give it away?,,, Throw it into the trashcan becuase its not good enough for my standards? Ha!!!

RB

post-171-12576889383762_thumb.jpg

RJB, very nice large specimen. Looks like an Acer or Platanus sp. Is this Eocene stuff? What formation/locale? Please rule out the trashcan prep/presentation approach quickly! Looks pretty good for at least a couple million years old...Regards, Chris

If it were my first leaf I'd keep it, at least until I got something better. Then you could turn it into a gas leaf! :)

Where's that from? Doesn't look like a Green River piece...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't help but picture you with pruning shears trimming it up... :D

Frankly, I think that is one fine looking piece.

Be true to the reality you create.

Not worth keeping, throw it away. They should be separated from normal household gargage, recyclables, and hazardous waste in a clearly marked clean container along with your crab B grades. I will They will be collected on the next scheduled pick-up.

Edited by 1nickeless1

Not a terrible specimen... not perfect but not bad either. It has two leaves there and I would keep it until you found a better one for the collection. If your going to get rid of it, put it up for auction for the forum! :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

If it were my first leaf I'd keep it, at least until I got something better. Then you could turn it into a gas leaf! :)

Hey Fig, this must be about my 40,000th leaf. Just a guess? Ha! This is most definetly a 'gas leaf'.

RB

Where's that from? Doesn't look like a Green River piece...

Yes Auspex, this is green river, but from the bonanza area over by the oil wells. Ive never been kicked out, but it is private and could happen the next time im there?

RB

Not a terrible specimen... not perfect but not bad either. It has two leaves there and I would keep it until you found a better one for the collection. If your going to get rid of it, put it up for auction for the forum! :)

Thats just the thing Shamalama. Waaaaaay back when,, when at the time my youngest son was 8 years old, he found this most SPECTACULAR FOSSIL LEAF!!! Weve have never ever even come close to passing this fossil leaf. I wonder sometimes why we even try now?

RB

post-171-12577254177227_thumb.jpg

Not worth keeping, throw it away. They should be separated from normal household gargage, recyclables, and hazardous waste in a clearly marked clean container along with your crab B grades. I will They will be collected on the next scheduled pick-up.

HOLY snarge that was funny 1nickeless1!!! The only problem is,, I think you need my address and time of 'curb' pickup. Here are some more trashcan leafs, or as fig has said, 'gas leafs'! I like Figs term. I was actuallY looking for the 'Worlds largest Willow leaf' and was going to prep it out, but couldnt find it and prepped these trashcan leafs instead. Ha!! jesus im funny. (Im probably the only one who thinks so) My wife says im a big kid? Whats up with that?

RB

post-171-1257726063566_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577261544873_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577262451372_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577263448367_thumb.jpg

I know its just a lowly little leaf but please don't throw it away:o. I run a home for lost and wayward fossils and little fellas like that are just perfect for my little foster fossil home;). I would be more than happy to give it a place on my shelf where it will always be loved and cherished.^_^

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

HOLY snarge that was funny 1nickeless1!!! The only problem is,, I think you need my address and time of 'curb' pickup. Here are some more trashcan leafs, or as fig has said, 'gas leafs'! I like Figs term. I was actuallY looking for the 'Worlds largest Willow leaf' and was going to prep it out, but couldnt find it and prepped these trashcan leafs instead. Ha!! jesus im funny. (Im probably the only one who thinks so) My wife says im a big kid? Whats up with that?

RB

post-171-1257726063566_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577261544873_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577262451372_thumb.jpg

post-171-12577263448367_thumb.jpg

I know where you live, been in Another Galaxy quite a few times myself. I just have to linger around long enough and stay ahead of the trash truck.

Awesome prep job on the Bic pen. Amazing detail! :D

Thats just the thing Shamalama. Waaaaaay back when,, when at the time my youngest son was 8 years old, he found this most SPECTACULAR FOSSIL LEAF!!! Weve have never ever even come close to passing this fossil leaf. I wonder sometimes why we even try now?

RB

Hi RB, stunning Macginitea! Absolutely keep going out---may the weather be the only thing that stops you! Not sure about that "private" comment though..could cause some grief somewhere along the line..hopefully not...Regards, Chris

Hi RB, stunning Macginitea! Absolutely keep going out---may the weather be the only thing that stops you! Not sure about that "private" comment though..could cause some grief somewhere along the line..hopefully not...Regards, Chris

Hey Chris, lots of oil truck guys pass us while digging and most dont seem to care, its that one guy who is concerned about liability or has a power trip that im going to run into someday. Then I will simply leave and go to the next location. And the weather has only stopped me twice. Once back in Humboldt County when the water was waaay over flood stage and the ground was shaking along the railroad tracks that I was walking along and it got me to thinkin about the cliffs along the tracks giving way? The only time ive been 'scared' of the weather, and two, one really bad storm and after being onthe road for two weeks and decided to not hit a fossil site and keep driving towards home. Other than that, when It was storming out, I went fossil hunting. I cant tell you how many times Ive come back home wet from head to two and covered in mud!!! WoooooooHoooooooo!!!!

RB

post-171-12580407217346_thumb.jpg

post-171-125804079336_thumb.jpg

post-171-12580408555836_thumb.jpg