Spino caudal vert ?

Le Ouistiti

Hello everybody, i’m new on this forum. I bought this vert in south morocco (the kem kem). The seller told me that is a spino vert but the spine seems too long and weird. I need your opinion. 

5FD8B1A9-10D4-47D1-9F8C-FF388825BB20.jpeg

The centrum is a typical Spinosaurid caudal vert yes.

However, sadly, this is also a typical composite. Not sure about the prezygapophyses, but that thing that is supposed to be the neural spine definitely does not belong there.  It's not even symmetrical!

The centrum looks quite substantial in shape and size. There are no lateral processes so it's not from the front half of the tail.

Here are some examples of Spino caudal verts from my collection.

This one is from around the front middle of the tail. Note that there are still lateral processes here.

Then I have this vert from further back in the tail. There are no lateral processes and the neural spine is much smaller and angled diagonally further back.

The genuine parts of your vert look most like my second vertebra. However, the remains of the neural spine on your vert seem to be more substantial and angled more vertically compared to mine. So yours will have been situated more forward in the tail. So your vert would be somewhere around or behind the middle of the tail.

It's a pretty nice piece, but I would remove the "neural spine" that clearly does not belong.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks LordTrilobite, i wonder what bone are the false neural spine. Do you have any idea ? I bought also other teeth and bones in the kem kem, i’ll post them later in an other ID post with better photos. It’s very difficult to identifie all the material from morocco.

The "neural spine" looks like it might be a fragment of a rib head due to the curvature and tapering thickness. But it's really hard to judge from just these two photos. It's likely you won't get a good ID on that piece of bone since it's so fragmentary.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Spinosauridae vertebrae, with sadly a lump of rib one stuck on it to make it look "complete" which is a shame as the centrum is nice.