Utera

I am having so much trouble finding out what these are. I confident that they are some type of prehistoric oyster but I have yet to find out. Is there anyway some of you guys can help me?

IMG_3374.HEIC

Please post your pictures directly to this thread. Your imaging file requires app to download. :shakehead:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Please post .jpg images, rather than .heic images. 

You can use a free online tool like THIS to convert your images.

Converted pics:

IMG_3374.thumb.jpg.729fd30d4f76f1cb5def6cb8d214d60d.jpg

IMG_3375.thumb.jpg.5b9aa12a3c3614966b983e63b69c4e82.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

They are Texigraphea. Thank you for everyone's help. And next time, I will change the image format and post them directly into the forum.

They are Texigraphea, but I think the name has been changed. I usually go to fossilworks.com to see if it is the active name for the genus and I typed Texigraphea in and no name like that exists in their database. Could the name have been changed or something else? 

The correct spelling is texagryphea and it is still a valid genus. For most species ID you need to know what formation that they came from. Where did you find them?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Those are very common down there.  You can just pick them up from the ground because they are so numerous.  

• I found this Informative 1

The Ft. Hood area exposes the Lower Cretaceous Comanche Series including both the Glen Rose fm. of the Trinity Group and the Walnut fm. of the Fredericksburg Group ( both Albian Stage).  The Texigryphaea mucronata (Gabb, 1869) are plentiful in Coryell Co., Ft. Hood, Walnut fm. exposures.

• I found this Informative 4