Question on a couple Shark Tooth Hill fossils (not teeth!)

jhw

I collected these at Shark Tooth Hill quite a few years back. Pretty sure the big one in a pinniped (Allodesmus?) limb bone of some sort, but not sure which one? The fish vert I'm guessing came from something pretty large too. Any insights or comments will be appreciated.

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6714.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

Have patience my son,  not all our experts are hovering around the ID thread.  I am sure you will get some opinions quite soon.

I've already summoned the big Kahuna.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

52 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Have patience my son,  not all our experts are hovering around the ID thread.  I am sure you will get some opinions quite soon.

I've already summoned the big Kahuna.

Hi Doren,

Yeah, operators are definitely not standing by.  I'll take a shot at the bone end and see what he says later.  I think it's the distal end of a metacarpal and will step up and say the second one so it would be a bone in the hand between the wrist and the first knuckle.

It's tougher to ID fish vertebrae.

Jess

@jhw be patient, please. Before this forum existed many of us had to wait days or weeks before someone would respond to an email! I teach until 9pm half the week and don't have many opportunities to spend my precious little free time mid-week volunteering to identify fossils for people I don't know.

That being said, you've got a vertebra of a halibut or flounder (Pleuronectidae, perhaps Paralichthys) and a distal metacarpal of a horse.

• I found this Informative 5

Didn't mean to be pushy. Just didn't want to get buried in the feed. Thanks Boesse! Wow, I never would have guessed horse with all the sea life in that area. Very cool! And a flat fish vert to boot! I truly appreciate your time and expertise.