Coral or volcanic rock maybe?

Becky Benfer

Definitely not coral, nor a fossil. It does look like 'volcanic rock', although I'm not sure where that would have come from in Ohio, so probably another kind of rock. What it could be I wouldn't know.

aka pumice. aka scoria. aka. . . . . . There are many "types" of this kind of volcanic material. There are also many kinds of slag from various manufacturing processes that look very much like this.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The holes you see in the stone are made by hot gaz.

There were volcanic activity in what is now Ohio during the Ordovician : http://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/downloads/ordoviciangeology.pdf

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

2 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

I also found similar rocks all over Central Texas due to late Cretaceous underwater volcanic activities. They are basically under water lava rocks  and found in south and central Texas on top of the Mesa or Butte.  These rocks are harder than surrounding limestone so they erode slowly then tumbles down when limestone cliffs erode.   Some of these lava rocks are bigger than a small car.  

Volcanic rock.JPG

Volcanic rock2.JPG

Not to sidetrack Becky's topic, but these rocks look like limestone.  Central Texas volcanic areas are fairly well mapped and not a common occurrence.  Check the geologic maps in the areas you frequent.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Not to sidetrack Becky's topic, but these rocks look like limestone.  Central Texas volcanic areas are fairly well mapped and not a common occurrence.  Check the geologic maps in the areas you frequent.

Disregard. Not a volcanic rock. 

1 hour ago, Creek - Don said:

Yes, these rocks were originally volcanic in nature, but turned into limestone.  It still has gas vents and other feature found in original rocks. 

It is highly unlikely that volcanic rocks would turn into limestone. Theoretically there could be some volcanic ash or other rocks mixed in. They also could be some sort of spring vent possibly related to hot fluids.

@Becky Benfer Does the rock fizz in acid? Can you scratch it with a metal knife blade? Let us know.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is highly unlikely that volcanic rocks would turn into limestone. Theoretically there could be some volcanic ash or other rocks mixed in. They also could be some sort of spring vent possibly related to hot fluids.

@Becky Benfer Does the rock fizz in acid? Can you scratch it with a metal knife blade? Let us know.

Disregard. Not a volcanic rock. 

2 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Yes, these rocks were originally volcanic in nature, but turned into limestone.  It still has gas vents and other feature found in original rocks. 

Don, those are not volcanic rocks.  Again, review the geologic maps.  Study up on the descriptions for the various formations and you will find their porosity is due ground water dissolving the limestone.

@Becky Benfer 

Based on these photos, I'm not sure what you have.  Because it was found in a river, it might not be native to the area.

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Because it was found in a river, it might not be native to the area.

If I remember correctly, Becky lives in northern Ohio. The rivers there are not huge and flow north into Lake Erie, so likely contain material native to her area. Glaciation is another situation. Northern Ohio did experience the effects of glaciers and this must be taken into consideration with her river finds.

Mike.

Hi all- I actually live in the southern most part of Huron County but could also say it’s Richland County where I sometimes find things. I never know what to call my area - but I refer to it as a North Central area. Apologies if I’m not choosing the correct term.

How big is it?  Can you post photos from different angles?

It could be something that was dumped into the river, or introduced by a flood.

As far as I know, and I've studied it a bit, there are no igneous or even metamorphic rocks at the surface in Ohio. The exception might be some Bentonites (ash) scattered about in some layers. But they would not look like that.  What Ohio did have was a lot of industry. This looks like slag to me.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, erose said:

This looks like slag to me.

Not far from melted rock to begin with, so it would have the odds.

Someone asked if I could scratch it with a metal blade and I tried it and yes it scratched easily and turned to a powder consistency. I also poured vinegar on one end of it and I HEARD fizzing but didn’t actually ever see it bubble . Here’s a picture of the size. Thanks again for all the help!

57D1B443-2309-4882-824B-3FF17B69760F.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

HEARD fizzing but didn’t actually ever see it bubble .

Likely the pore spaces being purged of air.

It's definitely a rock produced by heat.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg