Who's going to Mazonia-Braidwood/Pit 11 Opening Day 3/1/20?

deutscheben

13 hours ago, bigred97 said:

So I just heard that the Illinois governor has issued a shelter in place order for the entire state. You can still go to work, out for medical supplies or food or gasoline, to medical appointments, or to walk your dog. In the same article the governor was quoted as saying that there is not enough manpower to generally enforce the order. I was planning to go to Pit 11 on Monday. So I thought I could still just drive there and not stop along the way and probably be fine. There are few places better for social distancing than Pit 11! But later in the article it said that state parks are also closed. Which I believe would include the Mazonia-Braidwood State Fish and Wildlife Area. So now I'm thinking my trip is canceled. Any thoughts? I'm going to be sad if my time at Pit 11 is over for the year, hopefully things settle down before the area is overrun by ticks and vegetation. :shakehead:

Yeah, as of now it’s off limits. I’ll be making some trips down with my boat, and plan on hunting the bald pile out in the main lake, once the tick hatch is on. I’ll post when I plan to go in advance, and would be happy to have you come along if your schedule works out. There’s still hope! :) 

• I found this Informative 4

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Thanks, @connorp, and thanks @Rob Russell for such a kind offer! I really appreciate it. I think I'll spend my spare time instead on taking pictures to post of some of the fossils I've found and haven't been able to post yet. I'll put them in my topic under Member Collections. That will keep me busy, at least!

• I found this Informative 3

7 hours ago, Rob Russell said:

Yeah, as of now it’s off limits. I’ll be making some trips down with my boat, and plan on hunting the bald pile out in the main lake, once the tick hatch is on. I’ll post when I plan to go in advance, and would be happy to have you come along if your schedule works out. There’s still hope! :) 

That is a good way to look at it! If you have room and the timing works, I would love to hunt the islands too. 

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Thanks, @connorp, and thanks @Rob Russell for such a kind offer! I really appreciate it. I think I'll spend my spare time instead on taking pictures to post of some of the fossils I've found and haven't been able to post yet. I'll put them in my topic under Member Collections. That will keep me busy, at least!

Good idea.  I need to start a topic there.

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

That is a good way to look at it! If you have room and the timing works, I would love to hunt the islands too. 

I’d be happy to have you along! Over the next month I’ll get myself ready for launch, and once the coast is clear we’ll get something lined up. I’ve been out there a few times during the summer; and it sure beats swimming around in the weeds over on shore. Lol

Haven't been out there this year yet and only went once last year. I was hoping to hit it hard this season. Ohhh how things have changed. Lol

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

On 3/21/2020 at 6:43 PM, Rob Russell said:

I’d be happy to have you along! Over the next month I’ll get myself ready for launch, and once the coast is clear we’ll get something lined up. I’ve been out there a few times during the summer; and it sure beats swimming around in the weeds over on shore. Lol

You’re going to need a bigger boat

10 hours ago, smt126 said:

You’re going to need a bigger boat

You haven’t seen my boat. :D 

I too made 3 trips to Mazonia before the shut down. I was there on the 1st, 4th, and 8th of March. I'm sure I saw many of your vehicles. Here are a few of my finds from those days, some found open, and a couple opened freeze/thaw. Annularia, ??, Jelly fish, neuropterous, shrimp.

Phil 

Annu1.jpg

Annu2.jpg

flora1.jpg

jelly1.jpg

neurop.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

shrimp1.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

35 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

I too made 3 trips to Mazonia before the shut down. I was there on the 1st, 4th, and 8th of March. I'm sure I saw many of your vehicles. Here are a few of my finds from those days, some found open, and a couple opened freeze/thaw. Annularia, ??, Jelly fish, neuropterous, shrimp.

Phil 

Annu1.jpg Annu2.jpg flora1.jpg  jelly1.jpg

neurop.jpg shrimp2.jpg shrimp1.jpg

Sweet find,s Phil!  We need to get together again when all this blows over!

I was out March 1st, 8th, and 15th.

Cheers,

Rich

Just now, stats said:

Sweet find,s Phil!  We need to get together again when all this blows over!

I was out March 1st, 8th, and 15th.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks Rich, 

Yes, lets get together again when things open back up !! That would be fun !! Have you done any good yet on this years finds ?? Any more awesome shrimp ?? I listed a couple in fossil ID tonight, have a look if you don't mind, I'd like your opinion !!

Take care,

Phil

Wow some nice finds so far, Phil! Really interesting colors in that Annularia. And the shrimp is really good. How big is it? 

I couldn't quite make out the 2nd pic, it's a little blurry. Can you post a new one? Chris

A new picture would help for the second one. My initial guess is something like Asterophyllites.

10 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Wow some nice finds so far, Phil! Really interesting colors in that Annularia. And the shrimp is really good. How big is it? 

I couldn't quite make out the 2nd pic, it's a little blurry. Can you post a new one? Chris

8 hours ago, connorp said:

A new picture would help for the second one. My initial guess is something like Asterophyllites.

Here is another picture guys, hope this helps. It was an open find and kind of washed out. And yes Chris, I love the colors of the Annularia !! The shrimp is like 4 cm on a concretion of 6 1/2 cm. Guess that photo missed the cube. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

14 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Phil 

Really like the shrimp, but the Annularia is a beautiful piece. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really like the shrimp, but the Annularia is a beautiful piece. :wub:

I agree- it looks like it could be a piece of poster art!

I

21 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Here is another picture guys, hope this helps. It was an open find and kind of washed out. And yes Chris, I love the colors of the Annularia !! The shrimp is like 4 cm on a concretion of 6 1/2 cm. Guess that photo missed the cube. 

2.jpg  3.jpg

This appears to be Asterophyllites

• 5 weeks later...

I understand that some State Parks are opening on May 1. On the list, I don't see Mazonia-Braidwood. I was hopeful that it would be open again.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

23 minutes ago, Stocksdale said:

I understand that some State Parks are opening on May 1. On the list, I don't see Mazonia-Braidwood. I was hopeful that it would be open again.

It's not unfortunately!  I sent them an email.  They said they will reevaluate in a few weeks.  Boy, I'd really like to get out!

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, Stocksdale said:

Paul! 

Long time no see! 

Good to see you on here - I've missed your input, sir.  :) 

Hope all is well.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've been looking online DAILY to see if IL state parks would reopen. I saw the announcement earlier in the week that some parks would be reopening and I told my wife that I would be gone for the day whenever the first day was. I was dismayed when Mazonia-Braidwood was not on the list, I really thought it would be. Such an easy place to keep socially distanced from people! I hope when they reevaluate in a few weeks we will finally get our opening day 2020v2! Chris

I would guess it's the folks fishing on Braidwood Lake that would cause the problem- that parking lot is often packed on nice days.