Who's going to Mazonia-Braidwood/Pit 11 Opening Day 3/1/20?

deutscheben

That still seems like a place where you could with a little effort stay 6 feet away from each other and wear a mask which you would take off after you launch. And you can't fish with your buddies, only with others in your household. But I suppose the problem is that you would have a lot of people who wouldn't take those precautions, and we have to make the rules with them in mind, not for someone like me who would be really careful.

Correct. You can’t go and make a set of rules for one and a set for the rest. It’s easier to just set a nice simple blanket set of rules rather than try and work through single exemptions and “what if’s”. Most will follow rules, some won’t.

Mazon fossils have been sitting around for 300MY, there’s no rush. Miss a season? Ah well there’s next year ;)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

On 4/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, deutscheben said:

I would guess it's the folks fishing on Braidwood Lake that would cause the problem- that parking lot is often packed on nice days. 

I agree that the boat ramp, launching boats, holding boats at the dock while someone parks the truck and trailer, etc. would create a potential issue with social distancing.

I think opening up the parks with a “no boating” exemption would work. At least people could get out and enjoy the open space, walk, jog, etc. No harm in that, and it’s something society is going to have to get used to. Being in the same place, but maintaining distance.  Anyway, I’m with Ash, and it’s a term we often use here in the Chicago area, “there’s always next year”. :P

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

3 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Yes you are all right, the concretions aren't going to escape haha :heartylaugh:

Yes, LOL!  But they may rust away.... :(

Cheers,

Rich

Now I'll have to join the stay at home protesters with a sign that says, "Save the concretions". No one will have any idea what that means haha

• I found this Informative 1

On 4/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, bigred97 said:

Now I'll have to join the stay at home protesters with a sign that says, "Save the concretions". No one will have any idea what that means haha

That would be hilarious!

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think Mazonia might be open with the other State Parks on May 29.

• I found this Informative 3

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Fingers crossed, I live my mazon dreams through you guys.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Concretions rock!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 5/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Ash said:

Fingers crossed, I live my mazon dreams through you guys.

Hopefully, we can find some good stuff to help those dreams.  I plan to get out there as much as possible.  It's going to be hot and the ticks are probably out now.

Cheers,

Rich

LOL @Mark Kmiecik

I am so excited Mazonia-Braidwook is opening back up! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go the first day, I might have a work conflict. But if I don't go Friday, it will be soon after. I can't wait!

@stats just how bad do the ticks get? I've never gone this late into Pit 11 before. Does insect repellent work? I think I have 30% deet. Is there anything you avoid doing at this time of year or do you just go for it and check for ticks periodically?

Thanks, Chris

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

LOL @Mark Kmiecik

I am so excited Mazonia-Braidwook is opening back up! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go the first day, I might have a work conflict. But if I don't go Friday, it will be soon after. I can't wait!

@stats just how bad do the ticks get? I've never gone this late into Pit 11 before. Does insect repellent work? I think I have 30% deet. Is there anything you avoid doing at this time of year or do you just go for it and check for ticks periodically?

Thanks, Chris

I pretty much go for it.  But, I bought Insect Shield pants and a shirt a few years ago.  And, recently, I bought some permethrin spray to retreat them.  It's available on Amazon.  Last year, we went a few times in late May and early June.  I went back in July and then a few times in August/September.  The bad part is all the plants are growing.  It's hard to recognize landmarks when you get deep into the woods.  There's a good chance you will see ticks to make sure you use some insect repellent.  I bring some along to reapply.  Where won't be many mosquitoes yet, as they don't show up until later.  I might make it out a few times next week.  Need to keep an eye on the weather.

Let me know if you are coming down.

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, bigred97 said:

LOL @Mark Kmiecik

Thanks, Chris

Is it definitely opening back up?

I went a few times last summer. One tip I have is to tuck your pants in long socks and wear a long sleeve shirt that can tuck into gloves. You'll be hot as heck but I didn't get a single tick in maybe half a dozen trips. I've also found that the Tipple Area is a lot friendlier than Monster Lake in the summer. Not as much vegetation and a lot less bugs.

41 minutes ago, connorp said:

Is it definitely opening back up?

I went a few times last summer. One tip I have is to tuck your pants in long socks and wear a long sleeve shirt that can tuck into gloves. You'll be hot as heck but I didn't get a single tick in maybe half a dozen trips. I've also found that the Tipple Area is a lot friendlier than Monster Lake in the summer. Not as much vegetation and a lot less bugs.

On May 29th, we are supposed to switch to phase 3, which means all state parks are open.

Those are good suggestions.  I also wear a long sleeve shirt and tuck it in.  I always where gloves.  I wear long socks, but can't tuck my pants in, because they are too thick.  The pants and shirt are insect shield.

Cheers,

Rich

1 hour ago, connorp said:

I've also found that the Tipple Area is a lot friendlier than Monster Lake in the summer. Not as much vegetation and a lot less bugs.

Oops, meant Ponderosa Lake. But the Tipple Area surely has less vegetation since nothing grows...

If one wanted to be really thorough, one could duct tape the wrists and ankles, leaving only the head exposed.

Thanks, everyone - great suggestions! I just ordered insect shield pants and shirt and socks. I also love the idea of tucking my pants into my socks and using duct tape on my wrists. I always seem to have problems with my shirt sleeves coming out from my gloves. Maybe I'll experiment with rubber bands, too. If I can find a tightness that is secure enough but is not cutting off my circulation, perhaps that will be a good alternative. My only worry with duct tape is that I frequently have to take off my gloves to use my phone, usually to check or mark my location and also to check the time. So that might be hard to reapply that many times. I'll do some experimenting with both.

It really is amazing how much planning and effort I put into these trips. I've learned much through trial and error, but also so much from all the people I've met and everyone on this forum - thanks! :notworthy: Chris

And wear light-coloured clothing; it is easier to spot the little buggers!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

25 minutes ago, bigred97 said:

usually to check or mark my location

I've seen this mentioned a few times. Are you saving locations where you find a lot of nodules? Is that useful? I don't usually have a concrete plan of where to go when I visit Pit 11, but perhaps that's why I haven't had much luck so far.

37 minutes ago, connorp said:

I've seen this mentioned a few times. Are you saving locations where you find a lot of nodules? Is that useful? I don't usually have a concrete plan of where to go when I visit Pit 11, but perhaps that's why I haven't had much luck so far.

When I go try a new area that I've never tried before, I like to keep any concretions I find separate and save the location. I save the location by going into my maps app and taking a screenshot of the GPS coordinates along with the time. I have a plastic shopping bag that all those nodules go into and I put a post-it note with the time in the bag so that I can match it all up when I get home.

On March 2nd this year I walked around Ponderosa lake and stopped periodically to look for concretions. I didn't have much luck until I got to the south part of the lake, approaching the more traditional collecting area towards the south part of Monster Lake. I found one small gully with lots of small concretions, and I took a whole mess of them. I think I wrote 128 on the post-it note because 1:28pm was when I finished collecting and took the screenshot, and I had decided I wanted to keep those separate. I had a kind of bad feeling about them and wanted to know later if that feeling was justified. 

A little further down the path I found another gully and in this one I found a couple of nice-sized concretions right away. I again started saving those in another bag, this time I think the post-it was 141 and got the screenshot at that time, too. 

Back at home, freeze thaw confirmed that 128 was not a great location, I didn't get one fossil out of those concretions and they have all completed freeze-thaw. But 141 turned out to be a good location - I found a worm and a nice Cyperites leaf and some other plant material (and some are still being processed). Was it absolutely necessary that I segregated my finds? Probably not, since what I suspected turned out to be true. But this way I know for sure that I want to go back to 141 some day but I will avoid 128. I know the exact GPS location of 141, and sometimes if you wait a year to go back to a spot it's somewhat hard to find it again - it doesn't look exactly the same, maybe a tree fell over or something. So with new sites I think I will keep doing it but if you decide that is way too much work, I don't think you lose much.

Chris

• I found this Informative 4

3 hours ago, bigred97 said:

When I go try a new area that I've never tried before, I like to keep any concretions I find separate and save the location. I save the location by going into my maps app and taking a screenshot of the GPS coordinates along with the time. I have a plastic shopping bag that all those nodules go into and I put a post-it note with the time in the bag so that I can match it all up when I get home.

On March 2nd this year I walked around Ponderosa lake and stopped periodically to look for concretions. I didn't have much luck until I got to the south part of the lake, approaching the more traditional collecting area towards the south part of Monster Lake. I found one small gully with lots of small concretions, and I took a whole mess of them. I think I wrote 128 on the post-it note because 1:28pm was when I finished collecting and took the screenshot, and I had decided I wanted to keep those separate. I had a kind of bad feeling about them and wanted to know later if that feeling was justified. 

A little further down the path I found another gully and in this one I found a couple of nice-sized concretions right away. I again started saving those in another bag, this time I think the post-it was 141 and got the screenshot at that time, too. 

Back at home, freeze thaw confirmed that 128 was not a great location, I didn't get one fossil out of those concretions and they have all completed freeze-thaw. But 141 turned out to be a good location - I found a worm and a nice Cyperites leaf and some other plant material (and some are still being processed). Was it absolutely necessary that I segregated my finds? Probably not, since what I suspected turned out to be true. But this way I know for sure that I want to go back to 141 some day but I will avoid 128. I know the exact GPS location of 141, and sometimes if you wait a year to go back to a spot it's somewhat hard to find it again - it doesn't look exactly the same, maybe a tree fell over or something. So with new sites I think I will keep doing it but if you decide that is way too much work, I don't think you lose much.

Chris

I think that is a good idea and do something similar.  I usually come up with a name for a location and save it in google maps.  When I bring up maps, I see many pins dropped around Pit 11.

Also, I write short field notes in Evernote to keep track of where I went and what i found.

Cheers,

Rich

Very useful advice, @bigred97 and @stats! I have never kept my concretions separate, but I think I should start doing that. I do have locatons where I have found at least a few good concretions marked in Google Maps, but since I haven't kept them separate I don't know exactly which came from where. 

I have started processing my finds from my trips early this March and they are pretty poor so far- one very faint indeterminate worm, one shrimp molt, one poorly preserved little shrimp, and a half dozen Essexella- those were very coarse in preservation for some reason too, with hardly any detail visible. 

29 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

Very useful advice, @bigred97 and @stats! I have never kept my concretions separate, but I think I should start doing that. I do have locatons where I have found at least a few good concretions marked in Google Maps, but since I haven't kept them separate I don't know exactly which came from where. 

I have started processing my finds from my trips early this March and they are pretty poor so far- one very faint indeterminate worm, one shrimp molt, one poorly preserved little shrimp, and a half dozen Essexella- those were very coarse in preservation for some reason too, with hardly any detail visible. 

Same here. I finished splitting all my material. Most was from the Ponderosa hill we collected at, only found one fern and some other indeterminate flora. Hopefully opening day round 2 is more productive.

Funny, I seem to think my first trip this year wasn't all that successful, either. Too many nice-looking concretions that turned out to be duds. It must mean I left all the good ones there for us to find now!

Looks like it’ll be raining a lot leading up to Friday. The concretions will be uncovered but the bugs are gonna be fierce. Hopefully the weather will be nice Friday. If anyone wants to meet up this weekend for some socially distant collecting, let me know.