Giant Exogyra oysters of North Sulfur River

Creek - Don

Took a trip to eastern part of North Sulfur River near Cooper this afternoon. Water levels pretty low.  About foot deep in most places.   After walking down the bridge,  I immediately noticed huge amounts of Exogyra oysters exposed everywhere.  I usually find smaller ones in the past, but this time there were some huge ones that measures 6 inches across and weights 5 pounds lying on the surface.   I only grabbed the ones that were less worn for my collection.  There are still large amount everywhere. 

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture9.JPG

• I found this Informative 16

Those are some monsters! 

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

nice ones!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Some have lots of ruffles, costae. This one might be Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata or Exogyra erraticostata. Anyone know what the preferred name is: Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata or Exogyra erraticostata?

8486BB6D-8198-4B64-BCFF-667B4128E28A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Some have lots of ruffles, costae. This one might be Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata or Exogyra erraticostata. Anyone know what the preferred name is: Exogyra ponderosa var. erraticostata or Exogyra erraticostata?

8486BB6D-8198-4B64-BCFF-667B4128E28A.jpeg

Here's Stephenson's plate showing the difference between E. ponderosa and E. ponderosa var. erraticostata. The top one is the erraticostata variety.

plate2.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Have seen it recently listed as just erraticostata. Even in scientific literature if I'm not mistaken. Tumble an erraticostata around a bit and I think you have a regular ponderosa. Just a thought, not a fact...

Some very nice fossils.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Plax said:

Have seen it recently listed as just erraticostata. Even in scientific literature if I'm not mistaken. Tumble an erraticostata around a bit and I think you have a regular ponderosa. Just a thought, not a fact...

You hit the nail in the head. I suspect that some of the Exogyras at NSR are actually worn erraticostas. Some of the Exogyras that I dug out of the rocks near the FM 2675 bridge over NSR seem to have prominent costae and are the erraticostata variety. Others are regular E. ponderosa and some are intermediate. Close examination of worn Exogyras sometimes reveal costae.

I suspect that we are looking at a speciation event with many intermediate forms that lead to the creation of Exogyra costata which occurs near NSR in slightly younger Maastrician rocks.

My preference is to call them all varieties of ponderosa. I attach a variety name if they are not worn. I see that Stevenson called erraticostata a variety of ponderosa since both types occurred in the same rocks and there were many intermediate forms. 

Attached is a photo of an Exogyra (9.5 cm) with slight costae that looks intermediate to the ponderosa and erraticostata.

504A3334-E305-4181-BAA9-FCBC4641F2D4.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yup, FM 2675 is sure good for them. That's also a better bridge for sharks teeth if you look in the gravel btw.