daves64

Got another Burmite bug for possible ID. Roughly 1 mm in length. The wings are there, just apparently very thin & almost the same color as the amber itself. Seems to be very well preserved for being 99+ myo. Once my microscope comes in, maybe I can get better pics, but for now. :fingerscrossed:

Winged 1.jpg

Winged 2.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Bought the amber, found the bug.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Discoscapa apicula?  100 million year on primitive bee? Sure looks like a stinger on the rear. 

fossilizedin.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The amber looks a lot different than most I’ve seen, are you sure it’s authentic?

Nice looking piece of amber and insect. I can’t be sure of the i.d of the insect though. I suspect that creek-don may be on to something with the discoscapa although the antenna seems to long for it.. @holdinghistory May be able to positively I.d. It. He handles a lot of Burmese amber

5 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Are the long thin things wings? Interesting!

Those are the leading edges of the wings, the main part is hard to see. You can see a faint outline just inside the black lines.

Winged 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The closest I've found online so far is a biting midge or a coccoidea (scale insect).