Paleome

These are also from Mike's lost gift fossil collection, no location determined as of yet.  Your ID will help me do that.  I have many more of these.  Seem to be all the same genera and species.    They have the general form of periwinkles, but they are strangely spirally-beaded. (I understand there are beaded periwinkles), but I thought periwinkles were much smaller, like the specimen in the front, middle.  

1593829494873-1515253223.jpg

On 7/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, Paleome said:

These are also from Mike's lost gift fossil collection, no location determined as of yet.  Your ID will help me do that.  I have many more of these.  Seem to be all the same genus and species.    They have the general form of periwinkles, but they are strangely spirally-beaded. (I understand there are beaded periwinkles), but I thought periwinkles were much smaller, like the specimen in the front, middle.  

1593829494873-1515253223.jpg

I had such a hard time finding any gastropods (even among living species) that look like these, that I thought the appearance of these would pop right out as bring readily recognizeable.   My naiivete (sp?) probably derives from my almost complete ignorance of gastropods!  Sorry...

Anyway, I regret I did not submit the list of locations which became detached from their specimens in the whole set of collections given me by my friend.

So here they are:

Rockpit near Vernonia, OR

Black Star Canyon Road, near Irvine, CA (Orange Cty)

Sandstone bluff near Longview, WA

Vicksburg, Mississippi

Other mentioned locations (not likely):

Green River Formation

Blue Forest, WY

Rangely, CO

Mazon Creek

Clarno, OR

Maybe this will help.

These are very neat looking and when you first posted them, I spent some time looking for a match because I thought it should jump out at me.  But no luck, which I find a bit perplexing.  I searched the entire volume of the Treatise that I have and found nothing to match which led me to believe they were not Paleozoic in age.  Now with the choices of localities you gave, I looked through a couple of references (Dockery) that I have that should cover the Vicksburg Miss. location and no matches there either.  I know very little about west coast options, so I'll leave that to some other member.  It would be interesting to see a close up view of a single specimen where you can see the aperture, that could help someone.  I wonder if @MikeR has seen these and has any ideas.  Good luck and I'll be interested to see if someone can come up with an ID.

3 hours ago, ClearLake said:

These are very neat looking and when you first posted them, I spent some time looking for a match because I thought it should jump out at me.  But no luck, which I find a bit perplexing.  I searched the entire volume of the Treatise that I have and found nothing to match which led me to believe they were not Paleozoic in age.  Now with the choices of localities you gave, I looked through a couple of references (Dockery) that I have that should cover the Vicksburg Miss. location and no matches there either.  I know very little about west coast options, so I'll leave that to some other member.  It would be interesting to see a close up view of a single specimen where you can see the aperture, that could help someone.  I wonder if @MikeR has seen these and has any ideas.  Good luck and I'll be interested to see if someone can come up with an ID.

Thanks for looking.  I never thought these were from the Paleozic, probably from the Cenozoic.  I thought their very strongly beaded ornamentation would be a dead giveaway.  I found something similar-looking in the online literature,  but the images were rather dark and not that clear to me.  It was labeled Paskentana paskentaensis, from the carbon seeps of Paskenta, CA.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

42 minutes ago, Paleome said:

Thanks for looking.  I never thought these were from the Paleozic, probably from the Cenozoic.  I thought their very strongly beaded ornamentation would be a dead giveaway.  I found something similar-looking in the online literature,  but the images were rather dark and not that clear to me.  It was labeled Paskentana paskentaensis, from the carbon seeps of Paskenta, CA.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

15942576811361582799388.jpg

1594258026497-1774018839.jpg

These are two views of the very same specimens.  Top, from above and sides. Bottom, from below, showing openings (operculi?). 

The end openings are completely filled with rock-hard stone.  I can't remove it without destroying the specimens.  Maybe these fossils have been knocked off a plate.  

Note the second image (bottoms), very upper left-hand corner specimen.  Is that part of a turritella?

Also, on the first image, front couple of rows, the beading fades out to striations (growth lines? kind of wavy) toward the very end/opening of the shell.

Ambleyana was also found with Paskentana, also somewhat similar, from hydrocarbon seeps (Mesozoic) of Paskenta, Ca.  

2 minutes ago, Paleome said:

Ambleyana was also found with Paskentana, also somewhat similar, from hydrocarbon seeps (Mesozoic) of Paskenta, Ca.  

I'm so sorry, I misspelled it:  Amberleya genus.

Give us a close up photo of one specimen. It looks a lot like a Pennsylvanian gastropods, Trachydomia nodosa.

3D564460-E36E-4186-94F3-39C0CF19B5BB.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Give us a close up photo of one specimen. It looks a lot like a Pennsylvanian gastropods, Trachydomia nodosa.

Thanks you, Indy!  Will follow your topic under general fossil discussion.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:10 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Thanks you, DPS Ammonite.  I can't do close-ups right now.  Need to get new camera equipment.  Fortunately, Indy is taking the reigns in that department!

UGh!  What a dolt I am!!  @DPS Ammonite is absolutely correct and I should have recognized that right away as I have been looking at Pennsylvanian gastropods recently.  In fact, I went back and looked at my copy of the Treatise again, and I had a bookmark at the very page describing Trachydomia!  Too many late night readings and old timers disease catching up with me!!  OK, enough of my memory lapses, lets discuss the fossils. 

I believe Trachydomia is absolutely correct, but there are multiple species that are similar from the Pennsylvanian of Missouri.  Knight (1933) The Gastropods of the St. Louis, Missouri, Pennsylvanian Outlier: VI. The Neritidae in the Journal op Paleontology describes or discusses eight species of Trachydomia with differences based on  size and arrangement of the nodules and characteristics of the aperture area.  Without comparing your specific specimens (and you could have multiple species) to the descriptions in the article, I would be hard pressed to assign a species.  Apparently, the various species are also found in different stratigraphic zones within the area/time so if you knew exactly where they came from, that could be helpful also (but I know you do not have definitive location info).  FossilWorks lists 17 species of Trachydomia from Missouri and New Mexico but neither of those states was on your list of possible locations, so I'm not sure what to suggest there.  Trachydomia nodosum (note what I think is supposed to be the proper spelling vs what was in the earlier post) may very well be the correct species assignment for your specimens, I just don't think I can say that for sure based on the pictures provided, Trachydomia sp. would be a safer assignment without further research.

With all that said, they still are really neat looking gastropods, I must go find some!  Enjoy!!

Thank you, Clear Lake.  What you say makes alot of sense.  I appreciate your caution in identifying these. 

At least we have a genus, and that's a big step.

Mike, who was a friend of an acquaintance, gave me these fossils, and it may be difficult finding him, but maybe not impossible.  I shall try.

Debra

There is hope, yet!  A friend of mine helped me remember Mike's last name, and  I found him on the internet, including his photo.  He is quite a scientist

in his own right, affiliated with universities and tech labs geared toward the development of technology with the least harmful impact on our natural world.  I'll try to get ahold of him tomorrow when it's earlier in the day here (he's back east).  Should have some new info on my Trachydomia specimens, soon!

Cheers!  Deb

• I found this Informative 1

OK!  I got ahold of Mike this afternoon, and he wants me to send him photos of the snails. It has been about a decade and a half since he gave me these.  Will  be back later, hopefully with some promising news.

5 hours ago, Paleome said:

OK!  I got ahold of Mike this afternoon, and he wants me to send him photos of the snails. It has been about a decade and a half since he gave me these.  Will  be back later, hopefully with some promising news.

Well, my friend Mike doesn't recognize these, and they are fairly eye-popping.  I even gave him a complete list of where Trachydomia has been collected all over the world!  Never been to those places.  I must admit that

that my memory hasn't always been what it should be.

All is not lost, however.  There is a rather large, local rock and mineral club that I am not a member of, but have gone to a few of their yearly shows.  Besides all of the exhibits and vendors, they have a special booth for

donations to the education of local geology students.  As an incentive, they provide a box (mostly fossils  in rough, donated by club members) which they usually sell at 50 cents to a few dollars apiece. I usually buy out the whole box and increase the donation amount (one way in which I get fossils, and fantastic ones, at that).  Some are properly labeled, some not at all. 

This year, of course, they did not have the show.  I've been considering joining the club.  Maybe I could canvass club members through their newsletter. 

I doubt they are meeting right now.  This may take some time, but I'm not giving up.  

Sorry I couldn't get the info sooner.  Stay in touch!

Click on the members name above their picture and it will take you to their profile. Right beside the members name is a follow member button and beside that is a button with an envelope. Click that button

Hi,

Click on your caller’s profile, then you’ll have a button to send him a message.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 7/9/2020 at 1:05 AM, Paleome said:

Thanks you, DPS Ammonite.  I can't do close-ups right now.  Need to get new camera equipment.  Fortunately, Indy is taking the reigns in that department!

Just bear in mind, Indy hasn't been logged in in 3 years. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you to Randy and Coco for your assistance on the inboxing.  I eventually figured it out myself, just before your posts.

And FossilDude19, thanks for the clarification.  Well, when Indy was on, he sure put together quite a presentation on Trachydomia.  Much appreciated!