Rockin' Ric

Hello Y'all, back in June 2020 I got the opportunity to visit the trackway site in my state that I visited in May. Still no luck finding any reptile or amphibian trackways but as always I come away with some really nice fern fossil specimens. While looking for Brachiopods on the site I came upon this 3"x4" slab of shale sitting upright and partially buried in the soil in the first picture. I see pieces Mariopteris ferns on it and started splitting till I could split no more! This is the end result.

IMG_20200708_104209.jpg

IMG_20200708_104301.jpg  IMG_20200708_104336.jpg

IMG_20200708_104415.jpg  IMG_20200708_110230.jpg

IMG_20200708_150056.jpg  IMG_20200708_150214.jpg

IMG_20200708_150247.jpg  IMG_20200708_150320.jpg

IMG_20200708_150413.jpg  

• I found this Informative 9

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Wow! 

No shortage of eye catchers there, Ric! 

Thanks for the post!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for the photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

4 hours ago, aplomado said:

Lovely!

I think my family was there with you, and we had a great time!

Aplomado, introduce yourselves if we happen to do another field trip this month or next and we're all there. Sometimes, I get so wrapped up and focused on the hunt I lock out everything around me. It was a great time and look forward to going there each time its planned.

1 hour ago, Misha said:

Awesome finds!

Do you get any other plants like lycopsids or horsetails there?

Misha, thank you! The site is known for its invertebrate and vertebrate trackways but has its share of Carboniferous flora of all kinds include Lycopsids and Calamites. Many have been found by all including those who specifically collect those plant fossils. The site is a plethora of terrestrial and marine fossils.

4 hours ago, Rockin' Ric said:

Misha, thank you! The site is known for its invertebrate and vertebrate trackways but has its share of Carboniferous flora of all kinds include Lycopsids and Calamites. Many have been found by all including those who specifically collect those plant fossils. The site is a plethora of terrestrial and marine fossils.

Very interesting, didn't know that such sites even exist! they are usually either marine or terrestrial.

Do you have any pictures of those brachiopods anywhere? I love the little critters.

Another nice haul of ferns! Thanks for sharing! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 7/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, Rockin' Ric said:

Aplomado, introduce yourselves if we happen to do another field trip this month or next and we're all there. Sometimes, I get so wrapped up and focused on the hunt I lock out everything around me. It was a great time and look forward to going there each time its planned.

I guess I should wear a name tag!

Any idea where we are going next?

15 hours ago, aplomado said:

I guess I should wear a name tag!

Any idea where we are going next?

Ha, ha aplomado...since we have to do the social distancing onsite...with my bad eyesight it would difficult for me to see it. It'll probably be next month another field trip is planned? Our fearless fieldtrip planner has been put of town all this month? Stay tuned...

• I found this Informative 1