A Trip into the Alpine Cretaceous

Ludwigia

I was recently asked to do a review on a recently published book about the Fossils of the Alpstein, an area in Switzerland south of the southern shores of the Lake of Constance, where the highest peak is the Säntis. It was of particular interest to me, since it's not all that far away from home and I had already been up that mountain a few times, not realizing that there were fossils to be found there off the beaten path. So, after studying the possibilities given in the book, I settled on a visit to the so-called Kamm Bank, a Member of the Albian/Cenomanian Garschella Formation, where I was hoping to be able to find some of the heteromorph ammonites, Turrilites.

I took the cable car up and got out at the 2nd support, from where I was able, with the help of directions given to me by one of the authors, to find the exposure within a half an hour. Here's where I got out.

14.thumb.jpg.2fa4e2b619456c003866e71c0b07c457.jpg

And here's a view of the peak with its picture book folds.

13.thumb.jpg.f679018d30fcf1be5d6f6f57fb8c523b.jpg

I spent a good 4 hours exploring the exposure, which stretched away from the point where I entered it down the hill for quite a distance. It's the darkly colored bank in the middle of the picture below. I got in at the top of it and made my way down to the point where I took the photo. I tried reducing it, but that didn't work at getting the whole picture in, so I had to turn it, otherwise it wouldn't have fit, so please tilt your head to the left. Sorry 'bout that.

4.1.thumb.jpg.fd858b2eeae02017cddc901f703ebcce.jpg

4.1.thumb.jpg.fd858b2eeae02017cddc901f703ebcce.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Here's a closer view of the exposure.

1.thumb.jpg.2001a8129f9c4d9775d063d9da76a421.jpg

And a few of the finds.

2.thumb.jpg.d9c4fcae9d6f8ca4b331d06fea9a1943.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.733c0c780d6269c5f7baf5b7520f7b00.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.d3e42959392f4f7e2e78a1018588a3cc.jpg

The one below turned out to be a dud after I'd broken it out.

8.thumb.jpg.e4b2087264ba7205394ef23d99a12ae0.jpg

But I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted this as is just lying there and glistening in the sun! I think it's a Cretolamna.

11.thumb.jpg.5868b2f818bbb1e4a4c903df34b10baf.jpg

The mountain scenery round about was also quite invigorating.

1.thumb.jpg.b8409c43701187625ce2f836e7a8af2d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.04acba7a20a0dc15137bbfb936b30fbd.jpg

• I found this Informative 22

What a breathtaking site, and so close to home all this time, too. That shark tooth looks like it was placed there just for you (maybe by some magical Swiss fairies? :P ). 

Hopefully you'll be going back soon!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Awesome looking site for fossil hunting--if I didn't know better I'd have thought it was Florida. :P:heartylaugh:

Looking forward to seeing the other part of this where the Turrilites get their big long awaited reveal after being masterfully prepped from their matrix. Those of us who cannot prep would be happy to have any of the fossil exposed out in the field as that would likely be all we ever get to see. For those who have the kind of mad prepping skills that you do these finds are only the raw ingredients which will be so wonderfully transformed.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

What a spectacular site, Roger!!! :default_faint:  Congratulations on finding some fossils - I, too, am looking forward to seeing them after you work your prepping magic on them. :popcorn:

As most of you probably know, voices carry over long distances in the mountains, and I heard a couple of American ones above me. There they are, balancing their way across the ridge.

3.thumb.jpg.47a3048c320afdc07a370b119015cf67.jpg

And then I heard some creature calling not all that far from me and spotted what I think is a ptarmigan a couple of hundred meters away.

9.thumb.jpg.b30a50240e74464bd3fb2a165d4d81d2.jpg

Around about 4pm, I figured it was time to make my way down the mountain. First of all I had to clamber back up the ravine to get to the path and then started the long hike down with a few kilos on my back. It didn't take all that long before I started noticing that my joints and muscles aren't what they used to be, so I was taking my time and putting in a few rests along the way. Every once in a while I was overtaken by strapping locals on their way home or on their way up for a brisk hike before supper. One of them passed me on the way up when I was about halfway down and then overtook me on his way back down before I was down myself. Here are a few scenic photos I took on the way.

15.thumb.jpg.02ff738352a20a1f7b34152ae4406cda.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.9daeb6088e78b21d1d36ea0e08cab2c3.jpg

That's my car down there on the parking lot. I figured I'd be down from this vantage point in an hour, but it ended up taking another two and a half, since the path had to wind its way around countless prominences. All tolled, it took me 4 hours to get down and believe me, I was pretty tuckered out by the time I got there.

16.thumb.jpg.1f3be1b80e44b54bcc3ea0dbbe63d71f.jpg

The sun was just appropriately setting as I arrived back at the Schwägalp, where, after I had removed my socks and long underwear, I was able to enjoy a tasty Swiss barley soup and a red Rivella before I clambered into the car for the 2 hour trip back home.

20.thumb.jpg.47564c00aac21587d8627c7d7fa413c1.jpg

I'll post some more photos of the finds later after I've got them prepped.

• I found this Informative 13

It seems the most appropriate place in the world to yodel (please tell me you did!). :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Such beautiful scenery. Incredible.:)

And the shark's tooth was a trip maker, i'm sure. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What a beautiful place to hunt :) 

I didn't know they had cenomanian outcrops in the Alps.

Nice finds Roger.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

What a breathtaking site, and so close to home all this time, too. That shark tooth looks like it was placed there just for you (maybe by some magical Swiss fairies? :P ). 

Hopefully you'll be going back soon!

Yes, it is lovely, isn't it? And that tooth is certainly a gift from the fairies. :) But if and when I go back again, I think I'll take the cable car up AND down.

35 minutes ago, digit said:

Awesome looking site for fossil hunting--if I didn't know better I'd have thought it was Florida. :P:heartylaugh:

Looking forward to seeing the other part of this where the Turrilites get their big long awaited reveal after being masterfully prepped from their matrix. Those of us who cannot prep would be happy to have any of the fossil exposed out in the field as that would likely be all we ever get to see. For those who have the kind of mad prepping skills that you do these finds are only the raw ingredients which will be so wonderfully transformed.

Cheers.

-Ken

I am flattered by your praise. Prep photos coming up in a few days.

30 minutes ago, Monica said:

What a spectacular site, Roger!!! :default_faint:  Congratulations on finding some fossils - I, too, am looking forward to seeing them after you work your prepping magic on them. :popcorn:

Thanks, Monica.

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

It seems the most appropriate place in the world to yodel (please tell me you did!). :D 

No I didn't, just the Americans, believe it or not. I just let out a scream when I hit my thumb instead of the rock whilst extracting this nautilus. See the two red dots on the stone to the left? That's my life's blood.

7.thumb.jpg.36a139290cd81c4d4b151fd400e38f7d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Such beautiful scenery. Incredible.:)

And the shark's tooth was a trip maker, i'm sure. 

You're right about that, Adam. I was truly amazed and thought I was dreaming for a moment.

Just now, Manticocerasman said:

What a beautiful place to hunt :) 

I didn't know they had cenomanian outcrops in the Alps.

Nice finds Roger.

Now you know, Kevin.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Gorgeous site, and impressive fossils! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Maybe this would be a good time to take up hang gliding?  That would probably limit how much you could bring back though.

Don

Wow spectacular, thanks for the photos, and very different than the badlands of the west.  At what elevation generally are you at?

Hey, folks, cool down, these are just the Alps...;):D:dinothumb:

Thanks, @Ludwigia for sharing. Very nice scenery and spectacular fossils. Btw, the site does not look overcollected. What is your personal impression of this site, is it really as "pristine" as it looks like on your pics?
Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Gorgeous site, and impressive fossils! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Maybe this would be a good time to take up hang gliding?  That would probably limit how much you could bring back though.

Don

I even at least thought about that on the way down :D

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Wow spectacular, thanks for the photos, and very different than the badlands of the west.  At what elevation generally are you at?

The peak is 2502 meters high and I was working a couple of hundred meters under it.

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Hey, folks, cool down, these are just the Alps...;):D:dinothumb:

Thanks, @Ludwigia for sharing. Very nice scenery and spectacular fossils. Btw, the site does not look overcollected. What is your personal impression of this site, is it really as "pristine" as it looks like on your pics?
Franz Bernhard

No, not really. People have been collecting here for at least a hundred years and an awful lot of the bank has already been torn down, but you can still find something with a bit of persistence if you know what type of stone to look for. All of my finds came from bits and pieces which were lying around.

1 hour ago, Darbi said:

Thank you for sharing! I would love to visit Switzerland -- my ancestors came from Canton of Bern.

You should do that some day. Great little country!

Hi,

I love these wild and harsh landscapes. I miss the mountains, I did not go there this summer and I dream in front of your photos. Nice hike !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

AND Ptarmigans!

I have lived in the western USA for decades.  My mom and dad came to Massachusetts from Switzerland.  When I go visit the relatives, I am always amazed at the altitude.  I live at 5000+ feet here. We are in the plains.  If you get to 5000 feet in the Alps you are looking down about 4000 feet into the valley and up another 4000 feet at the mountains.

1 hour ago, Paleome said:

What a wonderful adventure.  I really look forward to seeing your prepped specimens.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I love these wild and harsh landscapes. I miss the mountains, I did not go there this summer and I dream in front of your photos. Nice hike !

Coco

Then let's hope that you can get up there next year.

1 hour ago, jpc said:

AND Ptarmigans!

I have lived in the western USA for decades.  My mom and dad came to Massachusetts from Switzerland.  When I go visit the relatives, I am always amazed at the altitude.  I live at 5000+ feet here. We are in the plains.  If you get to 5000 feet in the Alps you are looking down about 4000 feet into the valley and up another 4000 feet at the mountains.

I live at 1300 feet and it's nice to be able to look up another 8 thousand or so across the lake.

17 minutes ago, Everhardus said:

Wow, that tooth in such a spot !  Very nice indeed....

Yes, I just couldn't believe my eyes.

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I settled on a visit to the so-called Kamm Bank

... and you made some rather impressive withdrawals from that Swiss bank. I'm happy you were paid for all your efforts. Thanks for the tour, Roger. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

38 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

... and you made some rather impressive withdrawals from that Swiss bank. I'm happy you were paid for all your efforts. Thanks for the tour, Roger. 

You're welcome. Yes, I just opened up an anonymous account, avoided taxes, and even drew interest :)