NatalieinFlagstaff

@DPS Ammonite, @oyo, @TqB, thank you all for the informative discussion! I will reach back out to Dr. Elliott at NAU and apprise him of the conversation and ask him to definitely delve into his literature. I would be more than happy to loan this specimen to someone who could examine it more closely and help to ID it. So please let me know if I should contact someone. I can try to look into the details of the uranium mines where these tailings came from and see if there is any info on what rock formations they were mining in- perhaps that would help to narrow things down. If anyone else has any advice for me as to the next step to take, please let me know! The possibility that this fossil might be useful to a museum like the Arizona Museum of Natural History is absolutely amazing to me! I will get back out there and look for another specimen too :)

16 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I mentioned that it also might be a bryozoan. I have collected likely massive/encrusting bryozoans from the Naco that appear to have tabulae like structures. The openings average about 0.25 mm across. In other words do not dismiss that yours might be a bryozoan. 

Does anyone know if the size of the openings in Natalie’s fossil (~ 1 mm) exceeds that of any known Paleozoic bryozoan?

I always thought (received wisdom, can't remember where from) that bryozoans are generally below 0.5mm but 0.5 - 1mm is an awkward interval to use for distinguishing for sure from other similar tube forms. Over 1mm should rule them out - it would be really massive.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Since the size of the openings seems to be an important distinguishing feature, I tried to take one more photo to put that in perspective. 

20200924_082541.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 11:50 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

The only known chaetitids from the area are from the Pennsylvanian Naco Formation about 50 miles to the south. Transportation to the Gray Mountain area via the Tertiary Rim Gravels is possible but unlikely. If the preponderance of the fossils are from the nearby Permian Kaibab Formation then the Kaibab is the most likely source. 

If there is more than one piece of “Chaetetes” in the area, you might ask Elliott if he would like a piece for their Kaibab reference collection; it might be a new species for the Kaibab. I may also help you put a piece into the Arizona Museum of Natural History.

I mentioned that it also might be a bryozoan. I have collected likely massive/encrusting bryozoans from the Naco that appear to have tabulae like structures. The openings average about 0.25 mm across. In other words do not dismiss that yours might be a bryozoan. 

Does anyone know if the size of the openings in Natalie’s fossil (~ 1 mm) exceeds that of any known Paleozoic bryozoan?

492A3A02-4526-493B-8A4E-D4046D1A7F27.jpeg

846036F6-DEF1-402E-AD66-446E225C0282.jpeg

DPS Ammonite, I emailed Dr. Dave Elliott again and told him of the discussion concerning my fossil, and that it had been suggested that it might be a Chaetetes sponge.  He replied, and simply said he still thinks it is a tabulate coral.  He did not express any further interest.  I would be very happy to show it to anyone else, and would still be interested in loaning it to a museum.  It is lovely in my living room, but if it could be better displayed elsewhere for educational purposes, that would be even better.  Thank you!