dinosaurs are lizards

Roland Emmerich

I am making a book showing evreyone that dinosauria is part of squamata. You will realize all of you are wrong when it comes to dinosaurs (thats how good it will be), I want to challenge pre concived notions and fill them with new ones. If you want to have a conversation with me that would be great!

What are your credentials, and what research have you done to make this point? Pretty much all paleontologists agree that this is not true, and I don’t know of any sort of evidence that would change this. 

• I found this Informative 3

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Roland Emmerich said:

dinosaurs are lizards

This is not true. Dinosaurs where originally thought to be lizard like creatures, but this idea has long since been discredited. Many theropod dinosaurs had feathers and were probably warm blooded. To distinguish theropods from birds, the terms “avian dinosaurs” and “non avian dinosaurs” are used. This misconception largely comes from Hollywood dinosaur movies, and is not in any way true.

• I found this Informative 4

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Will this be a peer-reviewed book? Perhaps begin with a more focused peer-reviewed article first.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hmmm....so that lizard I used to own was really a dinosaur.........who'd a thunk it

Moved to GENERAL FOSSIL DISCUSSION.  

Geology was not the proper subforum for this.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Roland Emmerich said:

dinosaurs are lizards

Stating this as fact without any kind of context or evidence is rather unscientific.  :unsure:  :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 5

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Tell us more about you and what led you to such a conclusion. Also, are you currently with any museum or research institution?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.. don't forget that Bakker wrote "The Dinosaur Heresies" as a non-peer reviewed book.  And Chuck D's "On the origin of species by means of natural selection".  

I have also seen a lot of simply crackpot theories published as books.  

I have seen enough evidence that dinosaurs are not lizards.  Mosasaurs, yes. This will take some serious work.   

5 hours ago, Roland Emmerich said:

I am making a book showing evreyone that dinosauria is part of squamata. You will realize all of you are wrong when it comes to dinosaurs (thats how good it will be), I want to challenge pre concived notions and fill them with new ones. If you want to have a conversation with me that would be great!

Are we to assume that you are Roland Emmerich?  Or just a fan...?

You have made an assertion; and as others have mentioned, what can you offer to support it?

If you offered any detailed support of your assertion on a public forum, would it undercut the marketing impact of pivotal points in your book?

(Comments on the same assertion in another topic have been merged into this topic to avoid a confusing split discussion.)

• I found this Informative 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 hours ago, Roland Emmerich said:

dinosauria is part of squamata.

:unsure:Seriously ?

Nooo, i think you are joking...aren't you ?

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

You have made an assertion; and as others have mentioned, what can you offer to support it?

If you offered any detailed support of your assertion on a public forum, would it undercut the marketing impact of pivotal points in your book?

:DittoSign:

15 hours ago, Roland Emmerich said:

If you want to have a conversation with me that would be great!

Hard to do without facts! 

I want to see this evidence because currently there is some strong evidence that says they are more related to birds but I want to see the lizard evidence. There have been dinosaurs that have been fossilized in Germany with feathers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx#:~:text=Archaeopteryx (%2Fˌɑːrkiː,feathered dinosaurs and modern birds. 

Also if you just look at theropod footprints, Our World Is Rich With Places to See Real Dinosaur Tracks | HowStuffWorks

and then compare them to bird footprints

Cairns and Cassowaries | Periodic Wanderings

There are obvious similarites so try to prove us wrong. :popcorn:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I want to see this evidence because currently there is some strong evidence that says they are more related to birds but I want to see the lizard evidence. There have been dinosaurs that have been fossilized in Germany with feathers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteryx#:~:text=Archaeopteryx (%2Fˌɑːrkiː,feathered dinosaurs and modern birds. 

Also if you just look at theropod footprints, 

and then compare them to bird footprints

There are obvious similarites so try to prove us wrong. :popcorn:

This is a flawed argument.  

While I am not taking the OP's side, yes dinosaurs are closely related to birds, but the way it sits, birds evolved from dinosaurs.  The 'author' is trying to convince us that dinosaurs are lizards.  Birds being dinosaurs, and dinosaur being lizards are not mutually exclusive.  They can both be true.  If so, then we can say that birds are now lizards.  

Waiting for the book....

Thanks, JohnJ for pointing out that the writer might be a famous film-maker... or not.  I was not familiar with this name.

Hmm...crickets,  or maybe a different time zone?  Hope this stays interesting and doesn't go down the rabbit hole. We may all learn something as points are made and argued.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, erose said:

Hmm...crickets,  or maybe a different time zone?  Hope this stays interesting and doesn't go down the rabbit hole. We may all learn something as points are made and argued.

Agreed, I can't wait to see the evidence :popcorn:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

20 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Are we to assume that you are Roland Emmerich?  Or just a fan...?

(Comments on the same assertion in another topic have been merged into this topic to avoid a confusing split discussion.)

No, I am not Roland Emmerich. I am german, but my true name is Alexander Adler. I just like he's films.

21 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Tell us more about you and what led you to such a conclusion. Also, are you currently with any museum or research institution?

No, oh I know an Indian singaporean, you familiar with the user Greyideas at all? I saw that he was on ths fourm but had seen he had not posted in months. I know him as he helped me make a video.

21 hours ago, -Andy- said:

I dont work at any museum. I am going to start collage

17 minutes ago, Roland Emmerich said:

You can be lauded for your ambition, but this should be tempered by the long, prosaic, patient process of education and focus on fundamentals. For instance, your very big claim might require very methodical cladistic analysis, which has become much more the gold standard for showing classificatory relationships in an empirically justifiable way that will be more convincing because there would be a dataset to be used for testability.

In most academic pursuits, it is much more preferable to opt for modesty. That is, rather than begin with an extraordinary claim such as stating conclusively, making dinosaurs and lizards equivalent, simply ask why they are not. Science is not about proof, which is the domain of deductive disciplines like math or philosophy. Empirical (inductive) science is about falsifiability and testing hypotheses.

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Roland Emmerich said:

While I applaud your lofty goals, it seems to me to be a bit premature to state things as facts, when no supporting evidence is presented. 

If you cannot provide evidence to support your statement, then I suggest you hold off making proclamations until you have developed a solid base of evidence to present to us. 

• I found this Informative 4