Brazos river scale/scute/bark???

jtangandgorditi1994

Hi everyone.  Today I had this surface find on a Brazos River mound.  Striated face looked like wood, but turned around and looked similar to bone(?).  The cross section is whitish.  [LxWxT] 1.250” x 0.500” x 0.125”.

Could it be a scale/scute or actually wood?  Thank you.

E93B6BD4-A673-4EA5-9F78-14130C70B6B1.jpeg

1645F90C-F626-454D-B815-6F65CD1D5864.jpeg

7CE0A846-3BB6-4877-B2B5-434BE3210386.jpeg

5600CD8D-51D3-4006-A2BC-A7EE4B26B566.jpeg

21 minutes ago, jtangandgorditi1994 said:

Striated face looked like wood, but turned around and looked similar to bone(?).

It texture resembles a really worn mammoth tooth fragment but it feels small for that (?) Maybe someone with more experience on that river will speak up ..

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

I would go with mastodon tooth fragment because of the very light colored edge. I’ve found many pieces like that

I'm a novice here, so take it with a grain of salt, but I agree on the mastodon tooth.  The vertical patterns on your first picture look like the ones on the tooth fragment I have and the others I've seen on the site.

Also, in your side view, it looks like there are two darker plates on the outside with a smooth lighter colored center between them.  That's also more like the mammoth teeth.  All the osteoderms/scutes I've found on the river don't really have that oreo cookie type side view, but teeth do.

I'll respectfully disagree with mastodon tooth fragment.  The longitudinal wrinkling and relative flatness both suggest mammoth tooth fragment to me. 

1115201042_HDR.jpg

1115201042.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

21 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I'll respectfully disagree with mastodon tooth fragment.  The longitudinal wrinkling and relative flatness both suggest mammoth tooth fragment to me. 

1115201042_HDR.jpg  1115201042.jpg

JohnJ, 

Thank you for the info.  I didn't realize there was such a big difference between mammoth and mastodon teeth!

@JohnJ I see what you’re saying about the flatness. Thank you also for posting that picture, it’s a beautiful specimen and I see the similarities especially with the white cross section.

It’d be my first Mammoth find too anyhow!  :megdance: