Jeffrey P

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I did recognize them. Good times! :) 

I also recognized a few other specimens from around my area. Like the Acrocyanthus corals, and of course various brachiopods. That Halysites from the Louisville area is also a real beauty! 

Yes. I love the Halysites. It was a gift from Herb. You should see the one he has.

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, jpc said:

Excellent work all around... collecting, displaying, labeling.  Nice varied collection.  

Thanks JPC. As I said, still a work in progress I hope to build up further in the years to come.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:52 PM, FossilDAWG said:

You could charge admission!  Obviously a labor of love.  :wub: :wub: :envy: :wub: :wub:  You've set a high bar for the rest of us.

Don

Thanks Don. Yes, definitely a labor of love. Hope to add to this in years to come. We still have to meet up sometime when things improve. 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:20 AM, RuMert said:

Great collection and display! Even more amazing is that all those fantastic specimens fit into a medium-sized display case. An enlightened absolutist monarch would be proud to have it in their study:)

Thank you for your appreciation. I had to make a lot of tough decisions on what to display and how. Glad you enjoy how it turned out. 

On 11/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Jeff, 

As the others have said - beautifully displayed collection. 

Thanks so much for giving me the honor of being the first to see it displayed in person. 

It was really a treat for me, that I was the first to see it.

It really is an amazing display of an amazing collection!  

Tim, 

Glad you got to see the preliminary set up in person. We've shared many fossil collecting adventures together that contributed to this. These memories will always be a part of my display.  

On 11/29/2020 at 7:50 AM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

As a generalist, your eclectic, yet organized displays resonate with me.  

In my Ikea displays, dust finds a way to creep in around door gaps.  After this round of dusting, it may be time to apply weather stripping.

Hi Dan,

Glad you appreciate my display. Of course some it is there because of fossil site tips you provided. Thanks again for those. Someday, I'd love to see your collection in person, so keep it dust free. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Ken K said:

Wonderfully curated and displayed collection.  Amazing how one, seemingly insignificant specimen, takes on a whole new meaning when properly prepared, curated, and displayed!  Nicely done...Ken

Thank you Ken for your appreciation, especially meaningful coming from you. Your displays of Waldron Shale fossils are totally awesome and a big inspiration for me. 

On 11/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, Masp said:

Really enjoyed this, incredible display and impressive collection, Expected nonetheless from you! Thank you for sharing Jeff! 

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it and glad to meet you. That big gastropod internal mold I found that day ended up in the display. Cretaceous fossils from Monmouth County, N.J. make up a significant part of this display. They're present on ten of the twelve shelves. So, keep digging. Who knows what you'll have accumulated someday. 

On 11/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, Bob Saunders said:

Great display, mine are mostly full of glass and paperweights. I have seen a few used curio cabinets at garage sales and thrift store over the years. Please tell more about your labels? I mostly  use M.S. Works with Avery Label downloaded software, on plain printer paper. Then use a paper cutter to cut to size. Thanks

Thanks. The labels were made with regular print paper and cut with a scissors. As you can see their size varies depending on the information I wanted to post. Also, some labels cover more than one specimen/species.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:16 PM, frankh8147 said:

Sweeeeeettttt!!! I've been looking forward to seeing this display completed for a while now and it was definitely worth the wait!

A great fossil hunter deserves a great display and this certainly qualifies! I'm looking forward to our next dig and hopefully, you'll be able to add some great stuff to your collection in the very, very near future!!

:)

Hey Frank. Glad you appreciate this. A lot of the New Jersey Cretaceous collection was the result of our outings together. Great display items and wonderful memories. Yes, I'm hoping to add to those. 

On 11/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, caterpillar said:

Nice collection and great display. A little museum at home

Merci. Yes, a little museum at home, that's what I wanted. I can only imagine what your collection must look like in person. 

On 11/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, thelivingdead531 said:

Fantastic display and collection! Very well done! 

Thank you. Glad you appreciate it. 

On 12/1/2020 at 8:11 AM, Al Tahan said:

Wow I’m slacking on my collection :default_faint:........amazing Jeff!! I’m dying for more display space. Those curios really do the trick! This must have taken lots of time, care and patience. Very impressive :) 

Thanks Al and thanks for those eurypterid parts you gave me are in the display as well as those trilobites I found collecting with you in Little Falls. Thanks for the memories. You've got  an enormous number of awesome specimens I'm sure will find their way into a fantastic display someday. 

17 hours ago, Caverat said:

Wonderful! You could charge admission to see it:envy:

Thank you. How much would you recommend?

28 minutes ago, Caverat said:

Was it Barnum who said, "Whatever the traffic will bear"?

Not sure if Barnum said that, but with COVID19 and the fact that I live in New York City's northern burbs, a bit of a hike for most other fossil lovers, it is likely that traffic will be very slow. 

Wow, what a lovely, well-organized and diverse collection! Allow me to be the latest to say that your display is museum-like in the best way.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:11 PM, deutscheben said:

Wow, what a lovely, well-organized and diverse collection! Allow me to be the latest to say that your display is museum-like in the best way.

Thank you. I enjoy seeing fossils in museums and having a small museum of my own is a tremendous pleasure. 

On 12/6/2020 at 12:18 PM, Petalodus12 said:

Absolutely beautiful collection! 

Thank you. I don't know if you could see my Petalodus tooth I found in Texas two years ago. Your collection of fossils from the Pittsburgh area is quite impressive. I have some gastropods and a very tiny trilobite pygidium I found in the Ames Limestone that didn't make it into the display. Someday I hope to collect more of those. 

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thank you. I don't know if you could see my Petalodus tooth I found in Texas two years ago. Your collection of fossils from the Pittsburgh area is quite impressive. I have some gastropods and a very tiny trilobite pygidium I found in the Ames Limestone that didn't make it into the display. Someday I hope to collect more of those. 

I did notice the Petalodus teeth! Hopefully I can get my collection displayed in a good way soon; I have been working on cataloguing my collection recently and needless to say it is quite the task

Hi Everyone,

I felt it was important that I credit those TFF friends who contributed specimens I put in my display cases:

Herb- some of the Texas Pennsylvanian sponges,  the algae, the Halysites and Phillipsastrea corals, the Gravicalymene Silurian trilobite.

Tony (ynot) who gave me his haul of Triassic ammonites the day I collected with him at Fossil Hill, Nevada. They ended up mixed with my finds for the day. I'm sure some of those ended up in the display. 

Frank (frankh8147) for the Paleocene serpulid worm burrows.

John (FossilCrazy) for the Plumalina and the Linton vertebrate fossils.

Tim (Fossildude19) for the Devonian bivalve(both valves) Paleoneilo emerginata, one of the Redfieldius Jurassic fish specimens from Connecticut, the Jurassic plant specimens from Connecticut, the theropod footprint, and the Pleistocene dugong tooth from Florida.

Al Tahan- for the two eurypterid parts from Lang's quarry.

Mike (Pfooley) for the Coilopoceras ammonite and the concretion I found the Prionocyclus in.

I also wish to credit Tim (Fossildude19), Kris (Ptychodus04), and Roger (Ludwigia) for their prep help. 

Hope I didn't over look anyone.

• I found this Informative 2

On 12/11/2020 at 6:50 AM, Praefectus said:

Great collection and display!

Thank you. Glad you appreciated it. 

As fate would have it, I forgot a few;

Bob Will for the Macraster.

Kris (Ptychodus04) for the Pacyrhizodus skull section and vertebrae.

And Herb again for the Eupatagus (echinoid).