Fossil Shells full of Fossil Shells

mikeymig

Fossil shells from Florida loaded (natural) with more fossil shells. Many collectors like to clean out the fossil shells they find so they look like a shell found on the beach (recent). I like to keep them as natural as possible and preserve their history. Some of these fossil shells have other smaller shells that are cemented inside and would harm the shell if removed. Hours of careful cleaning is the only way to preserve and expose what's inside. I love them! 

The largest shell was entered in fossil of the month for Novembers and was a thread named My Fossil Cornucopia http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110984-my-fossil-cornucopia/

Due to the size of my images, I will have to make several comments. Enjoy and Happy Collecting. 

DSC09211.JPG

DSC09203.JPG

• I found this Informative 20
  • Enjoyed 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Mercenaria campechiensis (Southern Quahog) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus), Crucibulum multilineatum (Cup and Saucer shell), and Calyptraea centralis (Chinese hat snail).

Americoliva roseae (Olive shell) with Phrontis vibex (Bruised Nassa).

Anadara lienosa (Many-Ribbed Ark) full of bits of other bivalves like Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus), smaller Ark shells, and Crepidula aculeata (Spiny Slippersnail).

DSC09205.JPG

DSC09206.JPG

DSC09207.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Arcoptera wagneriana (Turkey Wing) with Plicatula marginata (Kittens Paw), Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus), and other univalve/bivalve pieces.

Fulguropsis spirata (Pear Whelk) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus).

Sinistrofulgur roseae (Lightning Whelk) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus).

DSC09208.JPG

DSC09209.JPG

DSC09210.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

led zeppelin

These are really nice. Amazing finds!

• I found this Informative 1

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

:wub:!!

Thanks for sharing!

I have very, very few of this kind found myself - much smaller, less much appealing! I really like them!
Franz Bernhard

When I collect fossil shells from Florida I always love the ones that are impacted with other shells. Once I get home, I soak them in water to loosen up the matrix and then I removed all of the excess. I then use a sieve and rinse out the residue and collect all of the remaining shells, that is where you can find some of the most beautiful, intact fossils, since they have been protected all of that time by the larger shell.

Impressive display specimens Mike!!!! When some complain that all of the best fossils have already been collected, you consistently prove them wrong. By the way, this would make a good member collections topic- Fossils in Fossils. I and others I'm sure have interesting fossils within fossils to display.

• I found this Informative 4

55 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

By the way, this would make a good member collections topic- Fossils in Fossils.

Good idea! There seem to be no particular topic about this subject. But I can be mistaken. Maybe there is such a topic somewhere, someone knows that and we can revive it? Thanks!
Franz Bernhard

Lovely! :wub:

Like @Jeffrey P I too enjoy fossils within fossils. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Each one is a collection unto itself. I'll bet some are even fossil shells full of fossil shells full of fossil shells.

• I found this Informative 3

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:50 AM, Nimravis said:

Here are examples of what I find sealed away in the larger shells.

DF29A2E1-C6BC-4539-A8F9-E07B03725382.thumb.jpeg.3628639c97f59b1fdd31d35d00b80ddc.jpeg

We did the same with the sediment at the bottom of our cleaning bucket. I did clean out a bunch of conchs, moonsnails, and other univalves of their ancient contents. Some shells were just too neat to clean in my opinion. A lot of the shells in this pic were found in that cleaning bucket after it was washed and strained. Some are rare :) 

Happy Collecting.    

floridafossilminishells.jpg

led zeppelin

I just finished cleaning this awesome fossil shell full of fossil shells Friday 12/11/2020. 

Anadara lienosa (Many-Ribbed Ark) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus), Brachidontes exustus (Scorched Mussel),Barbatia taeniata (Ark), Anodonta alba (Buttercup Lucine), Anadara impropera (Ark), and Balanus sp. (Barnacle).

I found a small (2mm) complete shell inside the sand matrix that was removed from around the other shells inside this fossil Ark. Its next to a grain of rice for size comparison. The quality of my video enlarger is so so but you get the idea. Happy Collecting. 

DSC09222 (2).JPG

20201214_120920 (2).jpg

led zeppelin

On 12/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, mikeymig said:

Arcoptera wagneriana (Turkey Wing) with Plicatula marginata (Kittens Paw), Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus), and other univalve/bivalve pieces.

Fulguropsis spirata (Pear Whelk) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus).

Sinistrofulgur roseae (Lightning Whelk) full of Chione erosa (Cross Barred Venus).

DSC09208.JPG DSC09209.JPG DSC09210.JPG

I particularly love that gorgeous one.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Have to say that I haven't seen shell fossils presented like this and I like it very much! Says so much more than just a cleaned shell. Nothing wrong with those of course.

Very nice specimens! I also enjoy the bucket load of shells and seeing some of their matrix...but I get terribly tempted to empty them out to see if there are any hidden gems and I hate it when its just the usual stuff we find around here!!...but the curiosity is there everytime! Continued hunting and prepping success!

Regards, Chris  

Love those shells! I may have missed it but how do you keep them together? Do you use a glue or consolidant? The ones I collected many years ago seemed to just separate. I guess mine were from near Miami so different sites probably have differing amounts of mineral cementation.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, Scylla said:

Love those shells! I may have missed it but how do you keep them together? Do you use a glue or consolidant? The ones I collected many years ago seemed to just separate. I guess mine were from near Miami so different sites probably have differing amounts of mineral cementation.

Careful removal of the packed sand/shelly matrix was done with toothpicks for the most part. It took hours for the big whelk and lucky for me, the shells were tightly packed in there. A little glue at a few places that I felt was key on keeping the whole piece together was all that was needed. I did not want to detract from the overall aesthetics of the piece. Its not a terribly rare or $$ fossil and most wouldn't waste the time on it as I did. But I dont live in Florida so the fossil is an exotic for me and I prepped most of the shell beside a pool/spa. Happy Collecting

led zeppelin