Dinosaur egg? Or possibly platinum?

JacquelineTate

Any help with identification is deeply appreciated, thank you.

IMG_20210524_134346409~2.jpg

The photograph is rather blurred, but it's not any sort of egg or platinum. 

Some sort of concretion, I would say. Maybe chert. 

• I Agree 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Clearer pictures are needed and also the size and location where it was found.

Hello Jaqueline and welcome to the forum!

There is an informative thread about fossil eggs here, because many people think they found one, though few really do. Platinum is not among the usual suspects though.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/92386-so-you-think-youve-found-an-egg-start-here-pdf-guides-available/

I fear the chances for both possibilities are rather low. Or did you only mention platinum to express that you know how rare fossil eggs are? Humor does not always translate well in the written word... in that case, sorry, ignore the following :headscratch:.

Just to be sure that you did not find a fortune, there is a simple test to rule out platinum: put your find in a measuring cup half full with water to find out its volume (measured volume after putting in the stone minus volume before). Platinum should weigh more than 21 times as much as the same volume of water, that is incredibly dense. Many rocks are bout 2-5 times as dense as water, most metals you encounter in everyday life (copper, Iron, tin, zinc and their alloys) are about 7-9 times as dense as water, lead 11x, tungsten and gold about 19 times.

So platinum with 21.45 kilos per liter would very probably be by far the densest material you (like anyone else) ever held in your hands, only osmium and iridium are slightly denser, except the radioactive ones. So if it was platinum, it should not only feel heavy, but ridiculously heavy.

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
correction
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley